Everybody, Apply for the Gender Council!

OK, so I admit, I have a biased opinion. I’ve been on board with the Gender Council idea since it was first floated at a MOQA meeting many moons ago. And like, if I had to pick a social issue that I was most passionate about, I’d probably put identity, sexuality, and LGBTQ activism right behind world peace and poverty (you know, the universals). So, I’m far from reporting on this bit of news from an objective angle. BUT, in case anyone was wondering about the status of the proposal submitted by Lark Mulligan and Viveka Ray-Mazumder, I’ve got the deets (that’s details).

The college decided that a “gender” council was too narrow (which like, don’t they realize that gender and interlocking systems of oppression and privilege encompass pretty much every aspect of our day-to-day identity and hit upon almost all student activity from the mundane, like going to the bathroom, to the more complicated, like the interplay of education, athletics, and school funding…but I digress). President Liebowitz, Vice President Spears, and Dean Collado have instead adopted a Community Council proposal that recommended the creation of an “umbrella” council that would be more “broadly reflective of diversity, identity and inclusion rather than specifically gender.”

In response, the original gender council supporters, while appreciating this institutionalized approach to social justice, have decided to go ahead with a grass-roots approach to the gender council that will lack the formal, administrative recognition and permanence, but will perhaps retain its singular ability to “deal with gender and its intersections.” To do so, they have solicited applications to join this student-run council and will soon “re-imagine grassroots activism and…what it means to push for empowerment, community support, and radical transformation at Middlebury.”

OK, now I know that when I use the words social construct, gender boxing, or identity in a conversation, I usually see a few eye rolls. And I know that even The Campus, a Middlebury institution, which I adore, wasn’t completely supportive of the Gender Council proposal. And I know there is a bit of hesitancy with regards to gender-neutral housing (particularly amongst tour guides who have no idea how they will reassure parents that this isn’t a heathen institution full of sex-crazed twenty-somethings sharing dorms with their boyfriends and girlfriends).

That being said, Middlebury College has the opportunity to take unprecedented steps toward supporting, protecting, and empowering the entire student body. And maybe some wouldn’t wear the labels of “progressive,” “LGBTQ friendly,” and “leader in institutional equality and recognition of the plurality of the human experience” as badges of honor, but I know I would.

And guys, queer theory isn’t scary or stupid. It’s enlightening. Which is all a round-about way of saying I’m super happy that there will be an official “social justice” council, as well as a Gender Council; that this college, its students, faculty, and administrators, are recognizing the beauty of diversity and the necessity of a liberal arts community where all of its members are appreciated. (When I wrote that, I immediately imagined a rainbow-colored paradise where Lady Gaga music blasts from every street corner, but I’m open to color-scheme suggestions.) But seriously, throw aside your reservations, because if this new Gender Council only achieves one of its goals, or develops a single policy to make this campus a little more open and a little more understanding, it would have been worth it.