Fall concert features Yeasayer and DOM

The Brooklyn-based indie rock band Yeasayer will play in Nelson Recreational Center on Nov. 13. DOM, the Worcester, Mass.-based electronic pop group, will open.

For Middlebury students, tickets are available online now: until Oct. 18, tickets cost $7; until Oct. 31, they will cost $10; from Nov. 1 through Nov. 13, they will cost $12; and at the door they will be $15. Tickets for non-Middlebury students will go on sale Nov. 1 and will cost $25. The Middlebury College Activities Board (MCAB) adopted this graduated pricing system for tickets after concerns that not enough tickets were available for Middlebury students for the Kid Cudi show in the spring.

This semester, the MCAB Concerts Committee has aimed to arrange more programming more frequently, rather than one large show per semester, as is often the case. The Yeasayer event will be more of a “mid-sized show,” said MCAB Concerts Committee co-chair Hannah Wilson ’11.

However, holding the concert in Nelson will bring the large show feel to the event, said Wilson. The band, which has released two albums since 2007, describes its sound as “Middle Eastern-psych-snap-gospel.”

“We’re trying to bring a variety of genres to campus,” said Wilson, noting that for the past three semesters, the large concerts have been hip-hop acts. “While we appreciate hip-hop, it’s not our job to exclusively feature hip-hop.

“We’re trying to bring concerts that have more atmosphere,” Wilson continued. “We’re making our budget go as far as we can.”

“It’s going to be a fun time, said Cathy Ahearn ’11, the other Concerts Committee co-chair. “Yeasayer’s music is very eclectic and danceable.”

For more information about the event, visit go/yeasayer.