Fanning performs in college’s 1000th performance

This past Friday, Mead Chapel was home to a delightful concert that marked the Performing Arts Series’ 1000th performance since its creation. The concert focused on the musical expertise of Diana Fanning, an extremely talented local pianist and teacher, and celebrated her forty years as a performer.  Her solo parts were later accompanied by the wonderful cellist Dieuwke Davydov and the captivating Jupiter String Quartet.

Commencing this night of music was Fanning’s solo pieces on piano.  Her many years of experience in the performing arts was evident from the moment she walked on stage.  She began the concert on a tone of enchantment, performing Chopin’s “Nocturne in B-flat Minor”.  Fanning’s beautiful musicality was represented in every note that came from the piano as the melodic riffs filled the chapel.  Next came an interesting Schumann piece entitled “Carnaval”, a work that emerged from Schumann’s reflection on the traditional masked ball of Asch. Consisting of twenty-one different parts, the piece depicted several scenes of romance, romanticism and dance.  Fanning graciously gave the audience an explanation of the different parts before she began, making the performance all the more enjoyable and understandable.  The crowd watched in amazement as Fanning recreated the wonder and mystique of a masked ball.

Following the intermission were the pieces accompanied by string instruments, which added vivacity to the evening.  First came Fanning’s duet with Davydov on cello playing Glazunov’s “Chant du Ménestrel”. Both musicians displayed their extraordinary musicality through this emotionally expressive piece.  The final part of this performance was a piano quintet with Fanning and the Jupiter String Quartet.  This youthful group from Boston came together to play a delightful piece by Dvorak, “Piano Quintet No. 2 in A Major, Op. 81”.  The four parts were both lyrical and intense, with the cello, three violins and piano melding together to create a beautiful sound.  A balance between the different instruments and the varying emotional stages really allowed the audience an opportunity to see wonderful musicians to explore their limits and play from the heart.  The Jupiter String Quartet wowed the crowd with their exuberance and investment in each measure of notes.  When the last piece was over, the audience demanded more and could hardly hold their applause after the encore.

Overall this was an enjoyable night of classical music presented in a very universal and enchanting way to the fully-packed chapel filled with members of the Middlebury community.  The concert not only demonstrated the talents of local Middlebury artists, such as Diana and Dieuwke, but also enabled the audience to hear the flavors of a youthful string quartet.