Field Hockey Beats Wesleyan 3-1; Captures Fourth Seed in NESCAC

Hannah Deoul ’14 and Chrissy Ritter ’16 invigorated a second half masterpiece against Wesleyan on Saturday Oct. 26 to win the game by a final score of 3-1 and clinch the fourth seed in the NESCAC tournament with a 12-2 record. Catherine Fowler ’15 knocked in her 17th goal of the year and supreme passer Alyssa DiMaio ’15 factored into two of the scoring plays. The team rides a five-game win streak into the NESCAC playoffs, which begin for Middlebury at home on Saturday, Nov. 2.

Wesleyan took the lead 22 minutes into the game on a fluky bouncing goal that nonetheless heated the stove top coils underneath the visiting Middlebury team. Five seconds before halftime, when it looked like the Panthers would sulk into halftime to receive another rousing speech, the ball struck a Wesleyan foot and gave Middlebury a last-second penalty corner opportunity. Bridget Instrum ’16 took a strong hit from up top that squirted away from the goalie and right to Fowler for a buzzer-beating goal. The crucial score changed the tune of the game.

“Everyone was so excited running out that it felt like we won the game,” laughed the goal-scorer, Fowler.

The Panthers have struggled to gain leads in the first thirty-five minutes of games all season, scoring only 22 first-half goals of their total 53. Captain Ellie O’Brien ’14 emphasized starting strong as a focal point moving into the elimination games.

“We have been a second half team for most of the year, but we need to change that,” she said.

When play resumed, the speed of substitutes Ritter and Deoul scorched the Wesleyan defense for two important goals, while the defense kept goalie Emily Knapp ’15 comfortably out of work. On the first strike, DiMaio unlocked the Wesleyan defense with a long cross-field pass to a streaking Ritter, who connected with Deoul on the back post for the score, executing head coach Katharine DeLorenzo’s halftime coaching adjustment.

“It was great because coach DeLorenzo told us at halftime that the lane was open if we could move the ball quickly enough, then Alyssa just did it perfectly,” said proud teammate Anna Kenyon ’16.

O’Brien also praised Coach DeLorenzo for adjusting the defensive responsibilities of the forward players to generate a more composed attack.

“Last week in practice Coach realized that the forwards were running back too much on defense, and it was affecting our offensive touches,” she said.

By remaining farther up field against Wesleyan, the forwards opened more space for quick transition passes.

Minutes later, DiMaio found Ritter again with a slick backhand pass, and this time Ritter rocked it from the offensive arc into the back of the cage for her first goal of the season.

“We have such a deep bench, it’s great to be able to play our same game no matter who’s in,” Fowler said. “Anyone can do anything, really.”

In addition to having highly capable players, the Middlebury sideline also composes the leagues highest-decibel cheering section whose well of positivity can be partially credited for all of the clutch goals and come from behind wins on the year.

“We talk about the phrase ‘reflective glory,’” said captain Deidre Miller ’15, “when someone makes a phenomenal play, everyone on the sideline gets fired up—and the players get more energy from that fire too.  It’s definitely a two-way relationship.”

The team looks ahead to the quarterfinal round of the NESCAC playoffs on Saturday Nov. 2 just like any other game.

When asked to reflect on the completed season, Lauren Berestecky ’17 responded, “It doesn’t feel like the season is over at all,” then added with a comedic seriousness, “It’s only just beginning.”