Field Hockey Continues Perfect in Conference

The women’s field hockey team continued its strong start after earning two big conference wins this past weekend. The Panthers picked up an away victory on Saturday, Sept. 19 topping Amherst 4-2, before returning home for a 7-0 victory over Hamilton on Sunday, Sept. 20.

Co- Captain Shannon Hutteman ’16 was especially happy about the team’s performance in the second half of the back to back.

“Our offense was dynamic and found many different ways to test Hamilton’s backfield, while our defense and goalkeepers were able to provide stability and come away with a shutout,” Hutteman said.

Forward Pam Schulman ’17 led the Panther offense on Saturday against Amherst, scoring her team-leading fourth goal of the season just over three minutes into the first half. Amherst responded 28 seconds later, tying the game at 1-1, which held for the remainder of the first half.

The Lord Jeffs got off to a quick start in the second half, netting the go ahead goal just 35 seconds in. Middlebury came right back to tie the game at two when Grace Jennings ’19 put one by the Amherst net minder. The Panthers scored the game-winner three minutes later, as Caroline Knapp ’18 collected a rebound and sent it shooting past the Amherst goalie. With just three minutes left in the contest, Jillian Green ’16 netted an insurance goal for the Panthers, and even though Amherst outshot Middlebury 16-14, the Panthers secured a 4-2 win.

The Panthers controlled the game from the get-go on Sunday, scoring five goals in the first half to eventually top Hamilton 7-0. Annie Leonard ’18 had a strong offensive performance on Kohn Field, scoring two goals and adding an assist. Middlebury scored early and fast, as Anna Kenyon netted the first goal of the game just 3:50 after the opening whistle on an assist from Caroline Knapp. Just 35 seconds later, Grace Jennings collected a loose ball at midfield and sent a shot flying past the Hamilton goalie to put the Panthers up 2-0. Leonard scored 16 minutes in on a penalty corner to extend the Panther’s lead to three. Two minutes later, the Panthers were awarded another penalty corner, and Schulman sent a pass over to Leonard who added her second goal of the day. After 20 minutes of play, the Panthers capitalized yet again on a penalty corner opportunity when Kenyon quickly sent it along to Hutteman who tapped it in for a 5-0 advantage.

Hamilton’s best scoring opportunity came shortly after Eva Rosecrans made her way down the Middlebury goal line and lifted a shot toward Panther goalie Emily Miller ’17. Miller shut down this attempt and kept the Continentals scoreless. Just over two minutes into the second half Leonard sent a crossing pass to Schulman, who netted her fifth goal of the season and put the Panthers up 6-0. Knapp’s third assist of the day came in the 60th minute when she sent a pass to Molly Freeman ’19 who scored her first career goal as a Panther. The Panthers led the Continentals in both shots (24-9) and penalty corners (12-7). The Panthers will return to the field for a huge NESCAC match-up on Saturday, Sept. 26 when they face 2nd ranked Bowdoin on the road.

“We will, as with all good teams, minimize their speed in areas and deny points while working in all ways to break them down in their defensive end,” Coach Katharine DeLorenzo said.