Film questions beauty standards

When students opened last week’s all-campus e-mail advertising the presentation of the film “America the Beautiful,” the familiar image of the Statue of Liberty stared back. However, she was accompanied by surprising suggested improvements, such as a nose job and breast implants. Perhaps the most striking aspect of the e-mail was the tagline: “Is America obsessed with beauty?”

Beyond the e-mail, are there realistic reasons to ask this accusatory question? Common Middlebury images suggest a partial answer: the ever-crowded fitness center with an abundance of girls reading magazines on the elliptical; jocks grunting as they lift weights; the girls in the dining hall carrying plates of scrawny looking salads or half a grapefruit while looking longingly at the apple crumble.

“America the Beautiful” follows filmmaker Darryl Roberts on a two-year journey to examine America’s obsession with physical perfection, and this R-rated documentary doesn’t airbrush the truth. Roberts unearths the origins and deadly risks of our nations’ quest for physical perfection and shows how the increasingly unattainable images portrayed by the media contribute to the rise in low self-esteem, body dysmorphia and eating disorders for young women and girls.

The screening on Thursday, March 4, was sponsored by the Office of Health and Wellness Education, and Jyoti Daniere, director of Health and Wellness at the College, chose to bring this film to Middlebury in hopes of “providing an understanding of how the advertising industry works and how it manipulates not only the images it produces but the self-esteem of individuals as well.”

“I hope that it will start a dialogue among students that challenges the idea of a beauty ideal,” said Daniere. “I also wanted offer a realistic picture of the dangers and complications associated with plastic surgery, which this film does nicely — the huge number of plastic surgery shows on TV make it appear safe, affordable and always successful.”

How did students react to the screening? Would it actually change their perception of beauty?

“I had already heard the general message of this film before the screening, and I think it’s an important thing to think about, but I don’t see any permanent changes being made from one documentary,” said Claire Lewandowski ’13. “It’s easy for us to critique the models and magazine editors in the industry, but what would you do if you were in their situation?” If you were offered a high paying modeling job, would you take it, even knowing that the industry would Photoshop your body, creating a false and unobtainable image of beauty?

When asked if they thought Middlebury was obsessed with beauty, students had a variety of answers. On one hand, some students did not find beauty of grand importance on campus.

“I think at Middlebury we accept many different kinds of beauty,” said Lewandowski. “Students are free to express their own style. You see everything from kids with crazy hair to athletic types to students in polos to outdoorsy types.”

Lisa Tabacco ’11 responded saying, “I don’t think Middlebury is obsessed with beauty. Everyone wears sweatpants to class. I think people care about being thin and in shape, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the same thing as being beautiful. There are more factors involved.”

Others found more importance in the concept of beauty: “I believe in self-improvement and I believe that one should always look their best to feel their best,” said Michael Crittell ’11. “ The way I dress is part of my personality. Looking good affects how you portray yourself to others, leading to good impressions. Your looks are part of your identity and give you confidence.”

Jyoti Daniere expressed her suspicions that Middlebury “reflects the national statistics that suggest four percent of college students suffer from eating disorders and nine out of ten college aged women struggle with disordered eating. I think many young men and women are preoccupied with their body weight, size and diet and this diminishes their enjoyment of their lives.”

But what exactly defines this illusive concept of beauty that so affects perceptions and impression on campus and in American society more generally? The documentary and discussion urged attendees to ask the question: What does beauty mean to you?

According to Lewandowski, “It comes down to being happy and confident. If you’re taking care of yourself and your body, you’re portraying yourself in a certain way, making others care about you. I think something to keep in mind and understand is that what’s normal is often what’s beautiful.”