Food for Thought — Culinary school grad Kate Strangfeld ’12 tells us what she’s eating this week

Next to the orange and banana, apples are one of the most ubiquitous fruit. When all other fruits seem to come and go, depending on where you are (like airports or fast-food restaurants), the apple seems like a reliable friend, always there when needed.

Perhaps one of the major reasons why apples are so common is because apples can grow in a range of climates. Apples are grown in all 50 states in the U.S., and 36 states grow apples commercially. Sadly, Vermont is not one of the biggest apple growers in the U.S., but I must say that they have pretty darn good ones. Overall, the U.S. is the second largest producer of apples in the world, although it is way behind the largest producer: China.

In addition, apples are super convenient and nutritious. They are a great source of vitamin C and fiber (one medium-sized apple has five grams of fiber) and are also low in calories. Most importantly, unlike most fruits, apples are inexpensive and last a long time.

Even throughout history the apple was eaten around the world. Some say that the apple tree originated in the Middle East, while others cite China. The apple was also eaten by the Greeks and Romans and it later became popular in Europe, European explorers brought it over to America.

In addition, the history of apple cider, one of the best things made from just apples (if you get the good stuff with no added sugar), also goes pretty far back. Apple cider was even produced during the B.C. era. Both the Greeks and Jews made forms of drinks from fermented apples and apple cider evolved over time and become more common in Europe. Hard cider was an especially popular alcoholic drink among colonists in America because apples were much cheaper than most grains.

So how much do you think you know about apples? Here’s a little trivia for you...

The types of apples are endless — how many can you name?
Golden Delicious, Fuji, Gala, Braeburn, Granny Smith, Jonagold, Winesap, Mutsu/Crispin, Rome, McIntosh, Red Delicious, Honeycrisp

Why do apples float?
Because 25 percent of an apple’s volume is air

Which state produces the most apples?
Washington, followed by New York

Which types of apples are produced the most in the U.S.?

Red Delicious, followed by Gala, Golden Delicious and Granny Smith

How many apples does the average person eat a year?
65 (I’d be willing to bet that this average is MUCH higher at Middlebury)

How much did the largest recorded apple weigh?
Three pounds and two ounces.

At what age does an apple tree start to bear fruit?
Four to five years old

What country is the third largest producer of apples?
Iran