Football gains Homecoming redemption

Everything is better after a win –– just ask Panthers head football coach Bob Ritter –– particularly when you can run the ball effectively. The Panthers (2-3) ended a three game losing streak Saturday by beating Bates (1-4) 22-9. Though less than crisp at times, the Panthers offense totaled 532 yards, while the defense limited Bates to just 149. The Panthers offense also found balance on Saturday, mixing run with pass and gaining 146 total yards on the ground. Running back Andrew Plumley ’11 had a career day, rushing for 124 yards on 27 carries.
“Plumley had a great day and our offensive line did a great job,” Ritter said. “Having that balance helped us a lot. It was particularly good at the end of the game when we could control the ball and hand the ball off and get first downs. It allowed us to keep the defense off the field and control the clock.” The Panthers dominated the time of possession over the course of the game, holding the ball for nearly 40 of the 60 minutes. To do so, the Panthers ran 104 total plays on offense, the most since Oct. 11, 2008, when the Panthers ran 107 plays in a 50-45 loss at Williams.
Middlebury took an early 3-0 lead on an Anthony Kuchan ’11 22-yard field goal with 8:47 remaining in the opening quarter. The drive was kept alive thanks to an 11-yard scramble by senior quarterback and co-captain Donnie McKillop ’11 on 3rd and 6 that nearly proved costly. McKillop suffered an apparent shoulder injury on the play and was replaced by back-up quarterback Jack Kramer ’11. McKillop returned later in the quarter, however, and the NESCAC’s second-ranked offense extended its lead to 10-0 when McKillop connected with Matt Rayner ’12 from 4 yards out. The Panthers had an opportunity to increase their lead further, but Kuchan’s next field-goal attempt from 29-yards away was blocked.
With 3:15 remaining in the first half, Bates finally got on the scoreboard, cutting the Middlebury lead to 10-3 after kicker Gavin Seagall-Abrams’ 27-yard field goal split the uprights. With 59 second remaining in the first half, the Bobcats almost drew level. In a frantic finish to the first half, Bobcats defensive lineman Tyler Kuehl intercepted McKillop and returned it 15 yards for a touchdown. After a missed point after try from Seagall-Abrams, it appeared that the Panthers would head into the break clinging to a one-point lead. Instead, Panthers running back and kick returner Gary Cooper ’11 brought the ensuing kickoff back to the Panthers 43-yard line, and head coach Bob Ritter decided to roll the dice again –– this time it paid off. McKillop completed five of six pass attempts, including a 35-yard completion to junior wide receiver Alex Englert ’12 to lead the Panthers on a six play, 58-yard scoring drive that took just 44 seconds. With two seconds remaining in the half, wide receiver Zach Driscoll ’13 hauled in a McKillop pass in the end zone to cap the drive. After Kuchan failed to convert the extra point, the Panthers led 16-9 at the half.
On the opening drive of the third quarter the Panthers drove to the Bates four-yard line where they settled for a 22-yard field goal from Kuchan, cushioning their lead to 19-9. The drive was highlighted by catches from Plumley and tight end David Reed ’11. On 3rd and 10 from the Middlebury 31-yard line McKillop found Plumley with a quick shovel pass that the running back took for a 34-yard gain. Three plays later McKillop completed a 22-yard pass to Reed that took the Panthers offense down to the one-yard line, leading to the Kuchan field goal. Reed led all receivers with 10 catches for 86 yards.
“Dave is certainly a big option for us on most of our routes,” coach Bob Ritter said. “It was good that we could find him in some big situations and he made some clutch catches. He found some open spaces and did a great job.”
The Panthers defense reigned supreme in the second half, shutting out the Bobcats offense. Senior linebacker Andrew Poulin ’11 led the team with 11 tackles heading the defensive unit. Linebackers Patrick Bathon ’13 and Zach Roeder ’12 contributed five each. Defensive back Patrick Pembroke ’12, meanwhile, had four tackles and intercepted Bates quarterback Trevor Smith.
“Our guys did a great job of being disciplined and making their plays,” said Ritter. “Poulin had a great game. He made a lot of tackles. He did a great job of covering sideline to sideline. Roeder, Matt Cawley ’12 and Patrick Pembroke all played really well.”
Despite scoring just six points in the second half, the Panthers continued to move the ball and dominated time of possession in the second half. The Panthers controlled the ball for more than 21 minutes in the second half and Plumley accumulated 56 of his 127 yards rushing in the fourth quarter alone. Most importantly, the Panthers offensive line proved itself late in the game, opening running holes for Plumley.
“You could see it at the end of the game,” said Ritter. “Our offensive line was taking over and really tiring out the Bates defensive front.”
For McKillop, the win over the Bobcats was yet another historic game. The Panthers quarterback finished the game 38 of 60 for 365 yards and two touchdowns. In doing so, the senior from Poway, California passed Matt Jozokos of Plymouth State for the most passing yards ever in New England Division III football. McKillop now holds the all-time records for attempts, completions and passing yards.
The Panthers travel to Trinity this week to play the Bantams (4-1).

football-andrewpodrygula-color-7-of-12-300x199