For the Record - 04/29/10

Everything about She & Him’s second album, “Volume Two,” drips with nostalgia. From the retro cover art of a lonely schoolgirl to the sunny soft rock production to singer Zooey Deschanel’s aching reflections on past romances, it’s an album that owes much to the California dreamin’ singer-songwriters of the late ’60s and early ’70s.

Yet, surprisingly, it doesn’t sound like a worn out Mamas and Papas’ record. Deschanel’s endless charm and irresistibly sweet vocals make this old-style pop her own.

She’s aided, once again, by indie folk journeyman M. Ward who fills multiple roles, acting as producer, guitarist and, occasionally, backup vocalist.

Ward’s presence on “Volume Two,” like on the duo’s first release “Volume One,” is mostly felt in the understated string arrangements and softly strummed rhythm section that give the LP a breezy but wistful sensibility.

Ward frames Deschanel’s simple melodies within a wash of Beach Boys harmonies and sunny instrumentation, providing the actress-turned-singer with a bright palette for her despondent musings. “Volume Two” proves the old axiom that steady production and confident songwriting go a long way.

Still, for all Ward’s sonic compliments, the album belongs to Deschanel (there’s a reason the “She” comes before the “Him”).

Whether she’s mocking an ex on the Skeeter Davis cover “Gonna Get Along Without You Now” or drowning in her sorrows on the country-tinged ballad “Brand New Shoes,” Deschanel maintains that radiant and endearing appeal she exudes so effortlessly on the silver screen (remember Elf?).

Her development as a composer shines through on tracks like the spry but heartbreaking album opener, “Thieves.” With its bouncy acoustic tempo and enchanting vocal performance, “Thieves” is so infectious that you’ll find yourself gleefully tapping your foot to the coda’s emotionally dejected lyrics: “Love like ours is terrible news, but that won’t stop me crying over you.”

Deschanel’s talents are on full display as she shows off her versatility as a songwriter with the chamber pop/rockabilly fused “Don’t Look Back” and the surprisingly poignant lullaby, “If You Can’t Sleep.”

With Ward’s minimal guidance, Deschanel weaves her way through a lineup of songs straight out of a ‘70s AM radio station.

As an ode to oldies, She & Him’s “Volume Two” is a resounding success, but viewing the LP as a time capsule ignores its current relevance. Deschanel and Ward assembled a collection of thirteen pop gems that speak to the enduring themes of love and sorrow.

The simplicity of She & Him’s songs makes them seem almost unimportant and forgetful — nothing more than a few hummable choruses. But Deschanel’s compositions have a lasting quality. Her haunting voice and lyrics bury themselves under your skin.

When it seems that every new release nowadays attempts to be forward-thinking, “Volume Two’s” reliance on the familiar feels welcome and fresh.