For the Record - 9/23/10

Artist |Robyn

Album |Body Talk, Pt. 2

If you’re like me, you’ve probably found yourself lost in the ever-growing world of electropop music (think Lady Gaga or Passion Pit) at some point in the last few years. The solution? Robyn’s Body Talk, Pt. 2. On the middle installment of her ambitious three-part Body Talk series (all to be released in 2010!), the Swedish pop princess delivers a refreshing blast of catchy, party-inducing jams that serve as a crash course for anyone wishing to know more about the genre. Packed with plenty of glittery pop gems and clocking in at just over 36 minutes, this record will leave you drooling for more.

But what it lacks in length, it certainly makes up for in crafty, complex songwriting. Although not as sonically or emotionally varied as its predecessor (gone are the Swedish lullabies and reggae dancefloor rallies), Body Talk, Pt. 2 still hits hard with what Robyn knows best: synthy, melodic electro-stomps.

The new strategy is apparent from the start. On album opener “In My Eyes,” Robyn, flanked by soft synths and an unrelenting beat, calls us “programmed rebels in a cruel, cruel world,” building on the human-as-robot theme of her previous album. But the change from Pt. 1 is evident; this is a more confident Robyn, one full of attitude and spontaneity. “It’s gonna be ok,” she assures us. “Don’t be afraid.”

In fact, Body Talk, Pt. 2, from the aggressive beats to the bold lyrics, is all about attitude. The best example is the full disco-pop makeover of Body Talk, Pt. 1’s acoustic “Hang With Me”, which, by the way, rivals “Dancing on My Own” as one of the year’s best pop singles. The album’s other highlight, the exuberant “U Should Know Better,” culminates in a series of laughably over-confident boasts: “You know when in Rome I sat down with the Romans / Said ‘We need a black pope and she better be a woman / There’ll be no more celibacy’ / Even the Vatican knows not to f**k with me.” A little extreme, maybe, but we get the point: this fiercer, more confident Robyn is here to stay.

Overall, Body Talk, Pt. 2 is the harder, faster, spunkier album of the two Body Talk series entries so far, but unfortunately, it doesn’t quite live up to the crisp inventiveness of Pt. 1. “We Dance to the Beat”, Robyn’s answer to Pt. 1’s “Don’t F*****g Tell Me What to Do,” layers thought-provoking mantras over a driving pulse but lacks the coarseness and irreverence of its predecessor. Even “Include Me Out,” the sister song to Pt. 1’s “Fembot,” falls short on the stylistic intricacies (quirky lyrics, subtle harmonies) that made “Fembot” such an outstanding song. Pt. 1 is simply a more complex album, both musically and lyrically.

But don’t get me wrong; Pt. 2 is an incredible album. After all, asking someone to follow up one of the year’s best albums with something equally good in less than three months is a bit demanding for anyone. But the pressure never seems to get to Robyn. Her outstanding vocal performances and general sassiness show she’s having a blast here. From the shot of adrenaline that propels “Hang With Me” to the guest appearance by Snoop Dogg, it’s clear that this is a fun album, and a cool album, which is what electropop is all about. So if you’re looking for a little direction in the world of electropop in 2010, start with Body Talk Pt. 2 … or 1 … or 3, once it comes out at the end of the year.