Francois Clemmons turns 65

Alexander Twilight Artist-in-Residence Dr. Francois “DivaMan” Clemmons concluded his 65th birthday concert on Sunday with a rousing rendition of “This Little Light of Mine.” Throughout his performance, Clemmons’s “light” shone brightly, both literally and figuratively.

As he joked with the audience and sang a selection of his favorite songs, Clemmons’ face lit up, expressing his sheer joy at celebrating his milestone birthday this way. Dressed in gold pants and a matching shirt, a jeweled crown and a purple cape, his entire presence sparkled onstage. Fittingly, he declared, “Purple is the color of royalty. Don’t you know a queen when you see one?”

After traveling with the Metropolitan Opera Studio for seven seasons and playing Officer Clemmons on “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” for 25 years, Clemmons became a member of the Middlebury faculty 13 years ago. He expressed surprise and gratitude regarding his long career at the College: “I never thought that I would still be concertizing at the age of 65,” Clemmons said.

“I am just my own artist. I don’t try to imitate anyone else’s style, and I am thankful for this opportunity to express my own uniqueness.”

Expressing his unique style and range of interests, Clemmons sang a variety of musical numbers, including the Mister Rogers’ theme song, “It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood,” and the spiritual “Balm in Gilead.” Clemmons also sung a cycle of poems by Adelbert von Chamisso, “Frauenliebe und -leben,” which translates to “A Woman’s Love and Life.”

“I loved that the audience tolerated it. It is a rather serious piece of music that has meant a lot to me for 30 years. I have never had the right venue to perform it,” Clemmons said.

Clemmons also enjoys the venues for musical collaboration that the College offers. He shared that he has recently made a point of always inviting other students or community members to perform with him. For his birthday concert, Clemmons shared the stage with Stuck in the Middle and the Martin Luther King Spiritual Choir. “I love this a cappella tradition on campus. I think it’s a very positive influence,” Clemmons commented, adding, “It just wouldn’t be my kind of music if I also didn’t include choral music.”

Clemmons’ onstage presence captivated a full Mahaney Center for the Arts Concert Hall.

“I never get nervous onstage. I feel like it’s my living room. Everybody in here is my friend,” he said. Clemmons expressed his gratitude for such a supportive crowd. Borrowing a phrase from poet Lucille Clifton, Clemmons said that he was able to see many “friend faces” in the audience.

To those “friend faces” and others who do not know him, Clemmons offered a piece of advice. “Do something that you love. Don’t do it for money. Don’t quit. There is no such thing as overnight success. So, do what you love and do it with passion and with commitment.”

Clemmons is certainly committed. “My great-grandmother LauraMae says that I woke up from my mother’s womb singing and haven’t stopped since,” he wrote in the program. After 65 years of making music, Clemmons does not plan to retire anytime soon.

“I don’t like the word ‘old.’ I am ‘mature,’” he clarified. “‘Old’ implies feeble, and I ain’t feeble.” With an attitude like that, Clemmons’s light is sure to continue to shine at Middlebury and wherever else his musical career takes him.