FUN. Delays Concert

The FUN. concert that was originally scheduled for Friday, Nov. 2, has been rescheduled for Thursday, Jan. 17. The band cannot perform at the College in November due to a scheduling conflict with a Saturday Night Live performance.

Middlebury College Activities Board (MCAB) Concert Commitee Co-Chairs Molly Sprague ’13 and Nick Mallchok ’15 explained that representatives for FUN. contacted MCAB just recently to notify them of the conflict.

“MCAB was contacted by the band the week before fall break notifying us that FUN. had been offered a spot on Saturday Night Live for Nov. 3,” wrote Sprague and Mollchok in an email. “Unfortunately, the Middlebury show conflicted with a mandatory SNL rehearsal for the band on the Friday before [on Nov. 2].

“Despite our efforts to circumvent this scheduling conflict, we were forced to cancel the Nov. 2 show.”

After news of the cancellation, MCAB worked with FUN.’s tour management to find an alternate date.

“The choices were limited as FUN.’s tour schedule was booked for the remainder of the fall, in addition to a European tour in the spring,” wrote Sprague and Mallchok. “FUN. had only two dates to offer, and one of them conflicted with an athletic event, leaving Jan. 17 as our only option.”

Scheduling concerts requires the approval from various departments across campus, which limits the dates the MCAB concert committee can choose from.

“After a lot of work and coordination, the Concerts Committee was able to confirm this date with the approval of Facilities, the Athletic Department and members of the college administration,” wrote Sprague and Mallchok.

Students are reacting to the rescheduling in a variety of ways. For some, the rescheduling has no effect. However, others who cannot attend the January show are disappointed.

“I was really looking forward to seeing the band live, but I am going abroad so I will not be able to attend the show now,” said Hana Kahn ’14.

On the other hand, some students who could not attend the November concert are excited about the new date.

“When I heard that FUN. was playing this fall, I was so upset that I couldn’t go. Now, with the rescheduling, I have the chance to see a great live band play,” said Danielle Hirshberg ’14.

Overall, MCAB feels optimistic about the rescheduling of the show.

“If anything, FUN.’s name and reputation will be even bigger when they come in January, and we are sure that it will be a fantastic show,” wrote Sprague and Mallchok. “While we are obviously upset about the date change, MCAB is planning a live screening of the SNL performance on Nov. 3rd in Crossroads Café to get ready for January.”

All tickets for the November show will be honored at the January show, and refunds will be available for those who are unable to attend.

The refund period begins Wednesday, Oct. 17 and ends Wednesday, Nov. 7. There will be a resale period beginning on Wednesday, Dec. 5 for students and Wednesday, Dec. 13 for the public.