Globe Med Sees Rise in Student Participation

On Saturday, Oct. 27 long before most students had awoken, the Great Hall in McCardell Bicentennial Hall bustled with participants of the 2012 GlobeMed Hilltop Global Health Conference.

The three-day event attracted a record number of students and featured an impressive assortment of health professionals, from Dr. Michael Rich of Partners in Health to Dr. Rishi Rattan of Physicians for Haiti. Members of the College’s chapter of GlobeMed who hosted the event note that the event highlights many strides the organization has made in promoting world health.

“I don’t think that sort of event would have been as successful a few years ago just because there wasn’t the base of support from the administration in terms of funding and recognition and from the students,” said co-president Hannah Judge ’13.

Since the group’s inception in September 2009, membership has risen from two to 40.

Beyond the organization’s rise in numbers, GlobeMed has cemented itself as an integral part of the community, fostered dialogue and educated students on important topics in global health.

Just a few years ago, Middlebury GlobeMed was an infant organization. A new chapter under the national umbrella, GlobeMed sets up clubs of interested students on campus and partners them with grassroots movements.

The group began its partnership with the Africa-2000 Network, a program in 13 African countries supporting community based projects aimed at environmental protection It has since then switched its partnership to Gardens for Health International, sending interns to Rwanda to support local staff who combat child malnutrition through agriculture.

Changes in the group have enhanced the scopes of its activities substantially. A strong leadership structure, active student base and support from faculty and other organizations are responsible for making GlobeMed one of the campus’s most visible organizations.

GlobeMed is made up of the executive board and a base of staff members. While executive board members are given specific roles and have more experience in the group than staff members, the divide is minimal.

“Other chapters have very invested executive boards and leadership but what sets us apart is that staff members are really invested and excited and step up to take on different tasks,” explains Judge.

Though leadership is not rigid, the group is still disciplined and focused. Armel Nibasumba ’16 explains he felt little hesitation about jumping right into the core of the group, involving himself in many important tasks such as organizing an a cappella show.

“I felt it was easy to feel I was in the group ... you get to connect to members easily,” said Nibasumba.

The group meets every Sunday, often drawing nearly 50 participants. The meetings split into small groups, which converse about issues relevant to global health. This year, discussions focus on human rights. According to Nibasumba, all members feel compelled to speak, fostering dynamic dialogue.

The Middlebury GlobeMed chapter also considers input from outside the group as well.  GlobeMed is connected with various other clubs on campus and has strong relations with many staff members.

Executive board member Ellen Halle ’13 notes the groups warm relations with the Center for Social Entrepreneurship, who co-sponsored their colloquium for the World Day of Social Justice and an emerging partnership with the pre-health office.

“Through leveraging those relationships it’s really helped to get our name out on campus,” said Halle. “I think there is more of an awareness that each class you take in a liberal arts education that has anything to do with international development relates to global health.”

The new global health minor has added an academic dimension to global health on campus, increasing interest in the subject and organization. Dean of Curriculumn and Faculty Development and Director of Natural Sciences Robert Cluss has supported the group in many ways, from offering Epidemiology in winter term to trying to offer the global health course all semesters.

Among the strongest factors in the group’s formula for success is the support of students.  The organization hosts a variety of creative and well-attended fundraising from GlobeMed-goes-red, to their annual ski race. Their ambitious fundraising targeting 20 thousand seems feasible at this moment.

These advances have made GlobeMed a role-model organization on campus, drawing on the school’s resources and the enthusiasm of group members.

Associate Dean of Students for Student Activities and Orientation JJ Boggs cites its inventive fundraising, strong organizational structure and positive message as qualities other organizations should try to emulate.

“I think they’ve discovered a magic formula,” says Boggs.