Inaction is easy, but not worth it

Author: ROBERT LEVINE '08

Over the last few weeks, the issue of climate change has been attracting lots of attention on campus. Andrew Revkin, a reporter for The New York Times who spoke this past Thursday, was just the most recent of the many authors and experts who have come to Middlebury to discuss this issue that will undoubtedly be the most important of our generation.

However, talking about climate change and actually doing something about it are often separate activities, and for many, they are mutually exclusive. This can be the product of unawareness, apathy or some combination of the two, but I frequently meet well-intentioned individuals who simply do not know the little things about how to reduce their ecological footprint. Living responsibly encompasses a multitude of activities, and I want to let you all in on some tricks of the trade.

Planning on driving home? That's a shame - first try to find public transportation. No bus or train to where you need to be? Carpool. And while you're at it, keep some of the following in mind. Every 100 pounds of extra weight reduces your gas mileage by up to two percent, so think about storing more and taking home less. Like to drive fast? Remember that your gas mileage tank is above 60 mph, and you can assume that each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an extra $0.20 per gallon for gas. In addition to slowing down, make sure your tires are properly inflated (every 1 psi drop in pressure of all four tires causes a 0.4 percent reduction in gas mileage) and avoid aggressive driving (i.e. don't floor it to impress your friends). Plus, if your car is going to sit idly for more than 10 seconds, turn it off - it takes more gas to idle for 10 seconds than it does to restart your car. Finally, if you are on the highway and need to use the AC, do it. Opening your windows creates more drag and reduces your gas mileage. But if you're in the city, AC usage can increase fuel consumption by more than 20 percent, so cruise with the vents open or the windows down.

Once you're home, there's plenty to be done. First, offset the carbon emissions of your trip home. See www.terrapass.com to calculate your car's carbon emissions, or if you're flying, go to www.carbonneutral.com. Then, take out the compact fluorescent light bulb (CFL) that you received during the ICICLE competition and show your family, friends and neighbors. If every bulb in your house isn't a CFL, you should consider adding a trip to the hardware store to your list of things to do. The bulbs are cheap, last ten times longer than a regular incandescent light bulb, and use 66 percent less electricity.

Does Mom still do your laundry? Tell her you want to hang it outside to dry, or go get a drying rack for under $15 (in your summer mailing from the College, you will be able to purchase a drying rack that will be waiting for you in your dorm room next year!). Does Mom still do the food shopping? Tell her to look into buying local organics. Some foods will be much more expensive, and therefore a bit more difficult to justify buying, but many foods, like organic bananas, are quite reasonably priced in comparison to their conventional, pesticide-covered, petroleum-fertilizer-produced brethren. Wondering why Mom is doing all the hard work? Do it yourself! Educate your family about how to live more responsibly. It's fun, highly rewarding, and in the case of organic food, delicious. Not living at home this summer? You get to do it all! No matter your plans, take a few minutes to strategize about how to be more environmentally friendly. Find a job that's in walking or biking distance of your residence. Take public transportation. Buy energy efficient appliances. Look for products made of recycled materials. Don't buy a newspaper - read it online. And compost - everybody loves compost.

The bottom line is that change only comes with action. It is easy not to care enough to change your light bulbs or hang your laundry; in fact, it requires almost no effort at all. Instead we must be proactive and educate those around us. My family didn't know what a CFL was until I brought one home last year; my mom doesn't buy organic bananas; and my dad drives a car that gets 15 miles per gallon. I'll be home for the summer, and I plan on shaking things up a bit. I encourage you to do the same.