Letters Helpdesk to Campus Change your own clocks

Author: Jesse Sucher, Gospel Johnstone

To the Editor:

As most have now realized, a student-run nightclub/bar is now a reality. Over four hundred Middkids passed through Xanadu Friday night, although the long line dissuaded many more from entering. The WRMC party was the first attempt at using this space, and therefore we are now addressing the main issues (i.e. carrying capacity, bathrooms, etc.). However, last Friday proved one thing above all else: students at Middlebury want a new place to party.

The administration is committed to working with students to further this goal. The space is for the students, and it should reflect the desires of the student body. I heard a lot of negative reactions on Friday, and your comments and criticisms are essential for this to be work. However, the success of this project hinges upon student contribution and participation.

Finally, while we want everyone to feel free to enjoy him or herself, it is important to comprehend the consequences. We don't want the students to lose this opportunity to play a major role in revamping the social life of this college due to a lack of responsible behavior. We will "party-proof" the venue to the best of our abilities. However at some point it is beyond our control. Treat the venue like it's yours, because it is. This will be a place to do more than throw ping-pong balls at each other and squeeze into cramped dorm rooms. Your feedback is vital, and your participation is welcome, so keep an eye out for more.

Sincerely,
Jesse Sucher '09
New York, NY

To The Editor:

Regarding Mr. Brant's "Fix your own clocks, Helpdesk," I thank you for your application to work at the Middlebury LIS Helpdesk. We recognize and appreciate your enthusiasm for the job, and are excited to have you working with us.

Your first task is going to be to fix a problem we're having in the Library and other college labs with our image. We'll need you to walk through to every computer in the Library, including rooms 105 and 140; BiHall 116, and Armstrong Library; Sunderland ILCs 1 and 3, the 24-hr Lab, and room 202; Munroe 216; the Music Library; and Robert A. Jones House. You'll also need to take a look at all of the laptops available for checkout at the Library. In total, it's about 250 computers, spread from Bi Hall to the Center for the Arts. On each machine, we'll need you to temporarily disable the software that prevents folks from making sweeping changes to the hard drive, install the Windows Update in question, and re-enable our security software. With logins and various problems we're sure you're going to encounter, we think, conservatively, that it'll come out to about half an hour per computer. If you're going to be able to work a full 40 hours per week, in three weeks you should be just about done. You'll have only another five hours the following week.

Of course, by that time, the standard daylight savings time setup already installed on the computer will have taken effect, but that's hardly the point. The $1125 dollars the college will have paid you to prevent inconvenience to the students, rather than, oh, say, helping faculty members with classroom issues or repairing broken student computers should more than make up for that.

We're excited about your involvement in our team and our projects, and about your concern for Middlebury's students, who are, after all, probably smart enough to wear a watch.

Looking forward to working with you.

Sincerely,
Gospel Johnstone '07
Mineral, WA