Letters to the Editor: 3/4/2010

To the editor:

I enjoyed reading Karl Lindholm’s recollections of Carnivals in the olden days (“Looking back, moving forward,” Feb. 25). I also remember Carnivals from growing up here, and the college-wide participation. Hoards of people crowded the Snow Bowl for ski-jumping in particular, which you could comfortably watch from the sunny side of the lodge. Many faculty members spent a day on the race course as gate-checkers, and it seemed as if the entire faculty (almost all male) skated in the Ice Show. The same was true for the hockey team.

I would like to make one correction, though. Karl mentioned that the Ice Show is now mostly a children’s show, but that’s not the case. This year, of 21 numbers, seven were by college students, and eight were by children of faculty and staff, with another performed by kids but choreographed and coached by Liz Edouard ’10 and Hilary Crew ’13 (current and future presidents of the College Figure Skating Club). One number was both college-and-kid, and four were by guest skaters. The Ice Show draws on talent and dedication throughout the community.

-Professor Carolyn Craven

To the editor:

As one of the “scholars” mentioned by Nick Alexander, I would like to respond to his “review” (Op-Ed: “A reality check for the Office of Health and Wellness,” Feb. 18) of the presentation that David Jernigan and I gave last month at Middlebury College on the minimum legal drinking age (MLDA).

I must confess at the outset that it is a bit disheartening to have one’s words and meaning so completely misunderstood, misinterpreted and misquoted. I don’t think either of us said 21 isn’t working. We said it is less effective than it could be because of the drinking environment in the culture. Adolescents are exposed to a stupefying amount of advertising extolling the virtues of drinking. Dr. Jernigan has documented this phenomenon very well. It is nearly impossible to watch a sports event in this country without seeing multiple messages suggesting beer is the answer to all your problems.

There is an overwhelming amount of data that supports MLDA-21. In 2009 alone, there were five new peer-reviewed studies published that support MLDA-21. I have briefly summarized this research in two articles recently published in The Addictions Newsletter.

How much data has been published that supports lowering the drinking age? None. Zero. Nada. Let me be clear here: There are no articles published in peer-reviewed journals that demonstrate a positive outcome for lowering the drinking age. I hasten to add that anecdotes are not data (as Dr. Jernigan pointed out on his first slide). That is to say, the “ask anyone” strategy that Mr. Alexander proposes, while an interesting rhetorical exercise, is not science.

I am puzzled by Mr. Alexander’s and John McCardell’s assertion that if we lower the MLDA, hazardous drinking will somehow, by some unspecified mechanism, turn into responsible drinking. Numerous studies have clearly demonstrated that education on this issue is ineffective, so that can’t be it. We also know beyond reasonable doubt that increasing access to alcohol will increase harms associated with its use, especially among young people. So, if you could, Mr. Alexander, please explain to me how a lowered MLDA would result in fewer alcohol-related harms? Not by simply asserting it as true but supported with data. If you are of the opinion that lowering the drinking age will result in a new, mature and responsible 18-year-old who will be sipping a vintage wine with meals, you have been in the Ivory Tower way too long.
Finally, we were asked by Jyoti Daniere to present for no more than 15 minutes each so the audience would have a maximum opportunity to ask questions and make comments. In this amount of time we were able to provide only the barest of outlines of the research supporting MLDA-21. It is indeed unfortunate that Mr. Alexander did not take the opportunity to express his concerns during the Q&A session. David and I stayed until there were no more questions.

Jyoti is a true professional and Middlebury College is fortunate to have her as the Director of the Office of Health and Wellbeing. She is a passionate advocate for student health, and I appreciate her sound, scientific approach to issues. Perhaps she will invite me back to give my full 90-minute presentation. If so, I hope Mr. Alexander and Dr. McCardell can attend. I will allow plenty of time for discussion.

-Dr. John Searles

Additional Online Content:

Read the articles by Dr. Searles in The Addictions Newsletter here and here.