Livin' the Dream Dolla dolla bills for the College, y'all

Author: Dean Atiyia

I walked into the dining hall this evening, picked up a plate, some silverware and a bunch of napkins (I eat like a savage), but when I went to set the contents on my tray, they fell to the floor in a flurry of broken glass and broken promises.

Middlebury College rates among the most expensive undergraduate institutions in the nation, yet it stands alone as the only one to bury its cafeteria trays in a landfill behind its dining halls, leaving the students without any place to set all their dining accessories. Could this be an environmental measure aimed at preserving water, or is that simply a farce to hide the College's economic motivations? I don't think anyone can seriously argue that there were no economic strings behind the College's black ops removal of the trays while we were all innocently pursuing summer internships. But this is just one of the more noticeable budget cutbacks that have taken place in the recent past.

I can still remember when MCAB, using the budget allotted them by the College, paid for two complimentary beers to of-age students at Pub Night. That was a really nice thing to do. In fact, it wasn't rude at all, but when they started charging me, it was like someone held a door open until I got just a few steps away and then shut it on my face. That happens to me enough day to day, so I hate having to speak about it metaphorically.

There are other spheres of College life, more important than trays and beer, in which budget cuts are painfully obvious. One Middlebury College student, Jesse Thornhill Davidson IV '08.5, who is co-captain of the men's varsity Squash team, finds that sports injuries and other ailments often lead him straight to our very own Health Center. On one such occasion, Jesse had a painful burn in his throat. After a thorough examination by a kindly nurse, he was diagnosed with an easily treatable tonsil infection. Unfortunately, Jesse's tonsils were removed years ago, leaving him dumbfounded as to the true nature of his pain. Had the College employed a doctor in the Health Center at all times, perhaps the boy with such a promising future would still be with us today.

I've heard students ask for every dinner of the year to be candlelit, so that the administration could save money and spend it on a daily shipment of fresh fruits and vegetables. Last year, the apples were a bright and passionate red and the tomatoes looked like God. Don't get me wrong, I want the school to do everything possible to become a carbon neutral campus, but I don't think the only way to achieve that goal is to take every economic shortcut possible and call it an environmental initiative. Fine! Take away the dining hall trays because they have E. Coli on them or because it wastes water, but tell me where the money goes.

Ok, wait. It's not like any of us are in desperate want of the bare necessities, but considering the amount of money the College receives on behalf of each student, you would think they could leave the juice machines on during dinner. If the trends continue, the next thing they might take away could be Midd Ride or even our freedom. At a recent Community Council meeting, it was suggested that a budgetary breakdown be disclosed for the Council's oversight. It was met with a lukewarm if not frigid reception.

Will the College ever subsidize the price of books or put a movie theatre in my common room? It's impossible to make way for the improvements students desire when we're busy fighting to keep that which we already have. By fighting I mean writing tedious newspaper columns.

Dean Atyia '08.5 is from Memphis, Tenn.