Local kiddies learn to be Middies

Author: Aylie Baker

"Light blue, Light blue, Panthers gonna eat you!" we shouted, quickly dispersing from Pearsons Lounge to run at full tilt towards the steps of Mead Chapel. Forty minutes later, after navigating through the New Library, determining the subtle, yet defining difference between a Love Me Tender and a Dr. Feelgood at the Grille, and counting each and every flight of stairs in Bi-hall (there are 68), we scrambled into Pearsons Lounge triumphantly. While the seven 12-year-old boys we were partnered with rushed to claim victory in the scavenger hunt, the four College students collapsed, battered and puffing, into armchairs.

On Sunday Jan. 28, middle school students from Chester, Vermont, Bridport, Vermont and Port Henry, New York spent the day shadowing College students for the annual "Midd Kidd for a Day" event. Following a lavish meal at Proctor Dining Hall, the 38 students competed in a scavenger hunt, enjoyed a Bobolinks concert, went to an information session and attended a men's hockey game.

The event was organized by Jessica Cox '07 in association with Cook Commons and Foundation for Excellent Schools (FES). The FES is a national nonprofit organization "committed to raising the academic aspirations and performance of underrepresented youth so that they can prepare for, enroll and be successful in college," explained Tara Lambert, a FES representative.

In a question and answer session led by Admissions Officer Jennifer Harris, the younger students shed any perceived shyness as they barraged Harris as well as Middlebury students with questions regarding the intricacies of college life. "Are the teachers mean?" asked one student, and another, "Is the homework hard?" The session was also a great opportunity for the 14 parents in attendance to receive information regarding the admissions process, financial aid and activities on campus. FES works to involve "parents, caregivers, siblings and other family members to ensure that we successfully engage underrepresented youth" said Lambert.

Roger Perreault '09, a proud member of the Light Blue squad, described his eagerness to participate in the event. "Children often seem to have boundless admiration on reserve, ready to be bestowed on those older than they," he explained. "I saw the children's admiration as both a great responsibility and a great chance to powerfully convey my excitement about college."

The FES Program specifically targets young students in their program. "As early as possible, schools [in conjunction] with their partnering colleges work to expose scholars to college as a realistic opportunity through visits to college campuses and interactions with college students and staff," said Lambert.

FES has been in partnership with the College for six or seven years now, explained Lambert. "Our relationship with Middlebury College has been tremendous," he said, "and yes, I believe that this impression will last with them into high school, perhaps shaping their high school academic/extracurricular careers or at least convince students that the idea of going to college can become a reality."

"I am a first-generation college student," said Perreault, "and believe that the most important benefit of the program is that it allows students and parents to become aware even that the simple opportunity for a college education exists." Indeed, as Perreault reflected, "It is an awareness many college-educated young adults take completely for granted, but the world of secondary education remains undiscovered for the majority of American citizens - less than one-third of Americans 15 and over will attain bachelor-equivalent degrees, according to the census."

At the closing pizza dinner in Mitchell Green Lounge, our group reconvened for a final cheer before parting ways. I couldn't help but be a little jealous as I took notice of the seven boys, their energy not diminished in the slightest, tugging on Perreault's coat admiringly as he gave them some last parting advice.