Local lowdown - 4/29

Haiti potluck dinner

April 29, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.

All are invited to Weybridge Elementary School for a dinner and Haiti discussion. Dr. Mike Kiernan recently returned from Haiti, where he worked as a medic in earthquake relief efforts. Interested? Call 802-545-2133 for more information.

Can you K.I.C.K. it?

May 1, 10 - 11 a.m. and 11 a.m. - 12 p.m.

Master Kellie Thomas offers TaeKwon Do classes at the Champlain Valley Christian School in Vergennes. For more information, contact Thomas at 802-877-1022. The first class is free, and if you decide to continue, the cost is $40 per month. Too pricey? Bring your friends because there are many great discounts. New students are encouraged!.

Stroll through Middlebury

May 1, 10 - 11 a.m.

Julie Mitchell, from EOS Botanicals in Monkton, Vt., is guiding a walk through the TAM. Come learn about herbs and wildflowers, as Mitchell has titled her walk “Spring Ephemerals,” and is excited to share her knowledge. If interested, visit the website, http://www.maltvt.org.

Renée Fleming in “Armida”

May 1, 1 p.m.

Come down to the Middlebury Town Hall Theater to see Rossini’s “Armida,” live from the Metropolitan Opera in New York City. Mary Zimmerman directs the production in which Flemming plays the lead as a devious sorceress. For tickets, call the Town Hall Theater box office at (802)382-9222, or visit the theater’s website.

Middkid meditation

May 2, 4 - 6 p.m.

All are invited to Otter Creek yoga in Marble Works. Take a break from studying, and enjoy a peaceful afternoon of yoga and meditation. Community members will also be reading from Thich Nhat Hanh’s book, The Five Mindlefulness Trainings.
Contact (802)388-1961 for more information.

“A Spring Bouquet” Concert

May 2 and May 3, 7 - 8 p.m.

The Middlebury Community Wind Ensemble, commonly known as the “Midd Winds,” is performing at the Mount Abraham Union High School Auditorium. Admission is free. Middlebury residents, alumni, staff and college students, are excited to share their sound with the community. (802) 545-2474.