Local Lowdown

Author appearance

Dec. 2, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.

Take a break from your studies to listen to Jared Duval, who will speak at the Ilsley Library tonight. Head down to the library, located on Main St. in Middlebury, to hear what the author of Next Generation Democracy: What the Open Source Revolution Means for Power, Politics and Change, has to say. For more information, call (802) 388-4095.

Holiday extravaganza in Vergennes

Dec. 4, 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.

The town of Vergennes boasts an incredible array of activities that are sure to get you excited for the holiday season. From the Bixby Library to Vergennes Elementary School to the Vergennes Opera House, festive events are everywhere! Make the trip to enjoy a delicious breakfast and to participate in a food drive, silent auction and cookie decorating. There will also be performances by the Champlain Brass Quintet, Dickens carolers and the Addison County Gospel Choir. For more information, be sure to call (802) 388-7951.

Folk music in Ripton

Dec 4, 7:30 p.m.

Enjoy a different kind of Saturday night at the Ripton Community Coffeehouse. The Parkington Sisters will perform a number of folk songs on Saturday night. Before the band goes on, however, audience members can show off their talents at an open mic set (be sure to call ahead to reserve a spot). Proceeds from refreshments sold will benefit the Helen Porter Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center. Tickets are $8, $5 for seniors and $3 for children. Call (802) 388-9782 for more information.

Cornwall Christmas concert

Dec. 6, 7:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.

The countdown to Christmas has begun! Join others at the First Congregational Church of Cornwall for a free Christmas concert. The Weybridge Church Choir, the Cornwall Church Choir and the Weybridge Parish Bells will sing an assortment of carols and holiday jingles that are sure to put all in festive spirits.

Tai chi

Dec. 7, 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.

Madeline Piat-Landholt has organized a “Tai Chi for Health” class at the Lincoln Library. Come clear your head and relax as she guides the group through a series of meditative poses. Call (802) 453-2665 for more information. The class is free; however, a $10 donation would be much appreciated.

Holiday sing-along

Dec. 8, 10 a.m. – 11 a.m.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…to join a group of local musicians at the Lincoln Library! Take a break from studying and the stress of finals and sing along to your favorite holiday tunes. Refreshments will be served, and all are welcome to attend this free event. Call (802) 453-2665 with any additional questions.