Local lowdown - 5/6

Local playwright shows “My Ohio”

May 6 and 7, 8-9 p.m., May 8, 2-3p.m. and 8-9 p.m., May 9, 2-3 p.m.

Come down to the Town Hall Theater for a few laughs this weekend. Local Middlebury resident and playwright Dana Yeaton presents her new musical, “My Ohio.” Tickets are $24 for the general public, but only $12 for students from the College. Call the Town Hall Theater’s Box Office at (802)382-9222 or go to
www.townhalltheater.org to get tickets.

Shop till you drop!

May 7, 10 a.m. - 5p.m.

Looking for some summer flare at low prices? Mendy’s Clothing and Accessories is holding its first annual sidewalk sale on Friday. There’s no better way to celebrate the end of the semester than to head down with some friends and find brand-name clothes for great prices. Support a local business and come away with a new wardrobe! Call 802-388-3434 and ask for Addy if you have questions.

Champlain Philhamonic Orchestra

May 7 and 8, 7:30-8:30 p.m.

Celebrate spring with classical music! The Champlain Philharmonic Orchestra, led by guest conductor Paul Gambill, will perform at the Vergennes Opera House. Tickets are $12 for adults and $10 for students and seniors. Take advantage of the discount and contact the Vergennes Opera House at (802) 877-6787 or www.vergennesoperahouse.org Happy listening!

Apple Blossom Derby

May 8, 9:30 a.m.

The 28th Annual Apple Blossom Derby offers a 10k and 5k run, a 5k walk and a Family Fun Run. A gorgeous setting is guaranteed as the trail offers a view of beautiful Lake Champlain. Food will be available to all participants after the race.Sound like fun? Registration is $20 for adults and $10 for participants under 18. Call (802) 922-0681 for more information, or visit www.shorehamschool.org/derby to download a registration form.

Jay Parini lecture

May 12, 5 p.m.

Jay Parini, poet, novelist and Donald E. Axinn Professor of English and Creative Writing, will share and discuss his work at The Lodge at Otter Creek. He has written Apprentice Lover, Benjamin’s Crossing and The Last Station, which has been made into a motion picture. Call The Lodge at Otter Creek at (802) 388-1220 for more information.

Wildlife walk

May 13, 8 - 11 a.m.

Feel like a walk in the woods? Come enjoy nature and take a stroll! Meet on the corner of Pulp Mill Bridge Road and Weybridge Street to spend the morning meandering through Otter View Park and Hurd Grassland. Otter Creek Audubon and the Middlebury Area Land Trust have organized the event. For more details, call (802) 388-1007