Lupo Fiasco Ring the alarm, Feb women coming through

Author: Kate Lupo

Get ready. Oh my God. Can't wait. I'm trembling … They're here! The Febs have officially arrived on campus and the school is abuzz. Like a scene out of a Where's Waldo? picture book, older Midd-kids have already started to excitedly pinpoint and identify new Febs all over campus. I, too, am very excited to meet these wonderful new students, so I thought I would introduce myself.

Hi, my name is Kate Lupo. I'm a junior Art History major and I write this column every other week - it's called "Lupo Fiasco." I love life at Middlebury and I like being a girl, which is why my column focuses on the woman's experience here at Midd. I hope to become your friend in the coming months and I hope to start a dialogue with you about the things you love about being a girl at Middlebury, but also the things you feel should change.

For all of the new Feb women on campus, I want to welcome you to Middlebury. I also want to tell you to prepare yourselves, because pretty soon you are going to be very, very popular. You will turn heads, the boys will whisper, and everyone will want to shake your hand. Although my words may sound intimidating, I have every confidence that you Feb women will be willing to handle all of the attention in the spotlight. Your ability to stay poised under pressure is why you were picked - it is why you are special, it is why you are a Feb.

I am not a Feb myself, but many of the women I admire most on campus are Febs. These women are confident, beautiful, talented and smart. It never ceases to amaze me how much Febs, both male and female, invigorate the campus with their enthusiasm, leadership and charisma. In the coming weeks, the Febs will rightfully be the most popular kids in school. We all want to meet you, party with you, sing with you and just celebrate the fact that you are here.

Middlebury is a very welcoming community on the whole, but sometimes, certain members of the community can be a little too welcoming. When the Febs arrive on campus, a jolt of sexual energy electrifies the school. Jaded seniors suddenly pinch themselves awake as cute Feb girls stroll by. Mouths water, knees weaken and pulses quicken.

As a Feb girl, you will become the subject of private conversation and close observation. Thus, it is time to turn on your radar and really evaluate the people you meet in the weeks to come. I can say (very proudly) that the majority of the men and women on this campus are amazing, funny, intelligent and sexy, but some may want to weasel their way into your, ahem … heart. I don't want to dampen your spirits by any means, but I thought I would give a word of caution as your college life begins. Keep your head high and your heart open, but be sure to steer clear of suspicious situations or people.

Looking forward, you should know that the first week of school is going to be stressful, and you may have trouble finding your way around. Don't be afraid to ask older students for directions or advice. If the pressure mounts and you feel stressed, just take a deep breath and know that everyone here is willing to help you get adjusted to Middlebury life. And there's no need to fret if people like you or not, because we all love you already. We loved you before you even got here. Welcome to Middlebury.