MCAB survey reveals satisfaction with events

Recently the Middlebury College Activities Board (MCAB) surveyed the student body in order to gather input on the status of social life at the College.

Led by President Maria Perille ’10, MCAB released a questionnaire requesting input on the general quality of MCAB events for the first time in five years. The goal of the survey was to see what students like about the organized events and to see how MCAB could change for the better. Using the results of this survey, MCAB hopes to create the best social atmosphere for students as possible.

According to Perille, “The survey was a representative survey of the student body because we got an even distribution of participants. There was about an equal number of freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors that completed it.” About 500 students in total responded to the survey. It was comprised of questions that ranged from the very basic ones like how many times a week students go out to specific ones about aimed at pinpointing students’ favorite spots for MCAB events.

“In general, more students are satisfied with both the numbers and types of social events on campus than not,” said Perille. Over 80 percent of the students who responded to the survey are satisfied or better with the overall social scene that they experience on campus, and a large majority of students enjoy the variety of events which MCAB provides.

A few of the responses to the survey questions merely confirmed what MCAB already suspected. For example, Friday and Saturday are the best nights to have the bigger and more popular social events because the majority of campus goes out twice a week and it overwhelmingly tends to be on these nights.

The results for the questions about the best location for a social event surprised the activities board. According to the survey, the greatest number of students like events held in McCullough Student Center.

“This year there has been a big effort to try new social spaces,” said Perille. “However, McCullough appears to be the most popular. People love the classic venue.”

Students also enjoy traditional MCAB events. The survey results show strong support for events such as Homecoming and Winter Carnival. Concerts are also popular events, as are the dances and themed parties.

Since concerts tend to be the most popular events on campus, MCAB paid special attention to questions about the variety of on-campus concerts. Over 50 percent of the students who responded would prefer to see one to two big concerts at Pepin Gynmasium or Chip Kenyon ’85 Arena rather than a greater number of smaller shows in locations such as McCullough Student Center or the Grille. The most popular genre of music that students would like to see in live events is indie rock. Alternative rock and pop rock were a close second and third in popularity.

According to the survey, the genre of music is the most important factor for students in determining whether or not to attend a concert.

Popular alternative events include the variety shows and the movies that MCAB organizes. The variety shows can range from student organization performances to outside comedians brought in for a special occasion. The students would like to see an increase in the quality of comedians being brought in. Students also feel that hypnotists and dance troupes are fun and popular alternatives as well.

With this survey, MCAB is opening up the possibilities for social life here on campus. With the responses they received, MCAB hopes to better cater to the wants of the student body.

“We can make a conscious effort [with the results],” said Perille.

As MCAB continues to plan for the rest of the academic year, Perille explained that they will definitely take the results of this survey into account.