McKenna plans to 'peak' into Kashmir

Author: Joseph Bergan

"I'm kind of throwing myself into the abyss," says Simran McKenna '07.5, sitting outside of Ross dining hall on a sunny spring morning munching on a bagel and cream cheese. McKenna's gentle demeanor hides the adventure-hungry creature inside. A geography major, McKenna has focus much of his academic career at the College on issues pertaining to global development.

Now, due to the generous Deagle Family Fund, a foundation that offers grants to Middlebury students who secure unpaid internships dealing with development, McKenna's inner adventurer is about to be unleashed.

McKenna will be interning with the Aga Khan Development Network in Gilgit, Pakistan. "I'm going to be conducting impact and access research of the school's programs that they have in the area, and I have some romantic images of myself bouncing on my motorcycle from village to village doing research," he says.

Although McKenna is excited about the opportunity to work on a locally founded non-governmental organization (NGO), which he believes is "the only way to develop," what he really salivates about is what lies immediately outside of Gilgit - the Rakaposhi mountain range.

For those students unfamiliar with southeast Asian geography, or who do not frequent the climbing wall, the Rakaposhi lie in the Kashmir region of Pakistan, and are considered some of the most breathtaking mountains on earth.

"If you Wikipedia 'most beautiful mountain range in the world,' you will find Rakaposhi," he says.

But the range does not only hold wonders for the eyes, as McKenna plans on finding some spare moments to rock climb in this magnificent range. During his sophomore year, McKenna began rock climbing around Middlebury, exploring the Green and Adirondack mountain ranges that surround the College.

"It has the highest drop from the summit to the base, and it is right in the middle of the Kharkorum, which is one of the most incredible areas for rock climbing in the world," McKenna says.

"While I'm not hardcore enough to do some serious climbs, I will be right in that area, just loving it," he says. But an examination of McKenna's short climbing history suggest that maybe he is being a bit modest about his skill - he has a history of wandering into uncharted mountain territory.

"I spent my fall semester junior year in Buenos Aires, and in the spring I took a semester off and I spent three months hitchhiking through southern Patagonia," he says.

McKenna spent most of his days "hitchhiking to the nearest mountain, and doing a ten-day trek into the range." He explains that the locals providing the rides would usually be skeptical after McKenna pointed to his destination.

"They would give me a little look and say, 'Really?'" he recalls.

Now, once again, McKenna prepares himself for another adventure. Yet this one presents a whole new set of challenges. The Kashmir region of Pakistan is politically charged and historically filled with violence, as India and Pakistan fight for this land.

"There is a certain aspect of danger, but unless you are traveling in a big obvious group of tourists, you should not have a problem," he says. While this may be exciting for a young idealistic mind like McKenna, his parents do have reservations.

"My parents are definitely a little bit nervous," he says. "I have Canadian citizenship, so I promised my dad I will be traveling as a Canadian." His mother is more supportive.

"Maybe she has more faith in me than she should," he jokes.

His mood remains relaxed as his countdown to departure is now at three weeks. However, he concedes that "when I'm sitting on the plane from New York to Islamabad maybe my lax perspective will change."

While his departure date is set in stone, his return date is still in the air, and he's open to the possibility of another semester off.

"I pulled it off once - we'll see how this one goes."