Men's basketball captures NESCAC title

The Middlebury men’s basketball team made history last weekend. The Panthers tied the school record for most wins in a season, avenged their only loss with a victory over Williams, securing the school’s second NESCAC championship and, to top it all off, will prolong their season in the NCAA Division III Tournament for the fourth consecutive year.

Just a day before the historic game, the Panthers found themselves in a heated battle against Amherst College for the final spot in what would become the team’s third consecutive NESCAC championship appearance, despite not having the lead for all but a minute of the contest.

Trailing by 16 at the half, Middlebury came out fired up, putting their defenense on lockdown and never giving up spirit throughout the period. Cutting the Amherst lead to four with just three minutes remaining in the contest, center Andrew Locke ’11 collected a missed Panther shot and put it back, narrowing the margin to 61-59. A minute later, junior forward Ryan Sharry ’12 collected his own miss and found the basket, tying the game at 61.

With less than a minute to play, first-year Joey Kizel ’14 gave Middlebury its first lead of the game, scoring on a left-handed layup after a quick drive to the basket. Throughout the final minute of play, Amherst would be unable to capitalize on three shot opportunities while Middlebury’s clutch free throw shooting sealed the victory at 67-61. Locke ended the game with nine points, seven rebounds and a NESCAC record seven blocks in the victory, while Sharry added 15 points and 13 rebounds.

The next day, the Panthers found themselves playing the only team that beat them all season, Williams, in their home gym, for the right to call themselves NESCAC Champions. Once again, the game was a war until the final buzzer sounded, with each team trading shots.

Middlebury got off to the early edge after consecutive shots by sophomore Nolan Thompson ’13 saw the team up 16-8 with six minutes left in the half. With five minutes left in the half, the Ephs would win their first battle of the contest, going on a 12-0 run capped off by a three-pointer from James Wang, giving the team a 22-20 lead. However, a late 7-0 run by the Panthers, led by Thompson, who had 15 points in the first half of play, gave Middlebury the 32-27 half-time advantage.

After extending the lead to nine early in the second period, Middlebury saw their lead slashed to just three after consecutive three point shots from James Klemm and Harlan Dodson found the back of the net. For the next five minutes, the game turned into an all-out frenzy with both teams trading baskets and fouls before a monstrous dunk from Locke and a three-pointer by sophomore guard Jake Wolfin ’13 found the team up 11 with just seven minutes in regulation. Despite cutting the lead to four late in the game, the Ephs were never able to overtake the Panthers as great free-throw shooting and careful defense down the stretch secured the 63-54 victory and second NESCAC championship in three years for the Panthers.

The Panthers now await their pairing in the team’s fourth consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance. They will play the winner of Salve Regina v. Western Connecticut at home in Pepin Arena on Saturday, March 5.