Men’s basketball opens 2010-2011 campaign on a 4-0 tear

While most of us were enjoying turkey and catching up on sleep, the Middlebury men’s basketball team got off to an undefeated start over the break thanks to incredible shooting and tenacious defense.

The four-game win streak that the Panthers are riding began during the UMass-Dartmouth tournament that took place the first weekend of the season in which the Panthers, led by tournament MVP Ryan Sharry ’12, were victorious. Middlebury, ranked ninth nationally before the tournament opener, came away with a 63-60 victory against Baruch. The Panthers’ swarming defense played a key role in the victory, as the Bearcats were held to just 30 percent field goal shooting, counteracting Middlebury’s 1-13 shooting from behind the arc and ten missed free throws.

The game was a battle throughout all four quarters, as the score was tied on 15 different occasions. A fourth-quarter jump shot with only six seconds left by sophomore guard Jake Wolfin ’13 broke the final tie, giving the Panthers a 62-60 lead. The Bearcats had one last opportunity to tie the game with seconds left, but could not capitalize on either of two free throw attempts as Middlebury secured the victory.

Just a day later, the Panthers won the tournament and got off to a 2-0 start, beating host school UMass-Dartmouth 86-62 in the finals. The Panthers controlled the game throughout both periods, shooting 52 percent from the floor while connecting on 7 of 11 three-point attempts. Middlebury also dominated defensively, holding a 41-27 advantage in rebounds. Senior forward Ryan Wholey ’11 led the team with 21 points while Sharry added 15 points and 11 rebounds.

The following Tuesday, the Panthers took the momentum of the tournament victory into their first non-tournament game, earning a road victory over St. Joseph’s College with a score of 83-69. The team had big plays on defense, with 15 blocked shots –– including six from captain Andrew Locke ’11 –– while continuing to shoot well from the field, hitting over 50 percent of their attempts.

St Joseph’s kept it close throughout the first half, only trailing by five points going into the break. However, the Panthers were able to pull away in the second period due in large part to a 14-2 run in the middle of the fourth quarter. Locke led all scorers with 15 points.

Middlebury continued their lights out shooting and constricting defense in their home opener at Pepin, getting off to a 4-0 start with an easy 86-31 victory over Johnson State. The Panthers shot an incredible 64 percent from the floor, hitting 50 percent of their three point attempts while holding the Badgers to less than 25 percent shooting. The Panthers were able to overcome an early deficit thanks in large part to a 21-6 run in the middle of the first quarter. Led by Sharry’s 13 points, the team also benefitted from its depth of talent –– 14 different Panthers scored during the game, as the bench continues to be a strong point for the team.

“After a 5-0 start, we’re looking to finish strong with a win at Union before heading into the break,” said guard Winslow Hicks ’12. “Not only do we have a solid team this year, but we are by far the best-dressed team in the NESCAC.”

The Panthers wrap up the 2010 portion of the season with a road game at Union this Saturday, where they will strive to build on this undefeated streak, undoubtedly gunning to surpass men’s soccer’s impressive 7-0 start to the season.