Men's Hockey Preview

2013-14 record: 11-11-3

Captains: George Ordway ’15 & Derek Pimentel ’15

The Middlebury men’s hockey team is looking to improve upon their .500 record from last year. The 2013-14 season could only be described as up-and-down, with three three-game losing streaks and two three-game winning streaks, one of which came at the very end of the season, which earned them fourth place in the NESCAC. After qualifying for the conference tournament a year ago, the Panthers fell 6-3 at home in the quarterfinal game against Bowdoin.

The men’s hockey team returns this year with a young core. The six seniors who graduated last year left space on the team for nine incoming first-years this season. 

Three seniors return to the team this year, with co-captains George Ordway and Derek Pimental, the team’s top scorer from last year, leading the way along with goaltender Mike Peters. 

Other significant returning players include forward Jake Charles ’16, who registered 17 points in 15 games played last season, defenseman Ronald Fishman ’16 and goaltender Liam Moorfield-Yee ’16.

Unfortunately, the team has not gotten off to the start that they hoped for. 

After six games, the men’s hockey team sits with a 1-3-2 record in 5th place in the NESCAC standings. The season is still young, however, as there are at least 18 games left to play. 

With many key NESCAC games still on the schedule, including a late home-and-home against rival Williams in February, the team’s fate remains very much in their hands.