Men’s soccer ends NCAA run in quarterfinals

In the world of sports, one second can create a fine line between winning and losing. The Middlebury men’s soccer team learned that lesson the hard way at the Sectionals of the NCAA tournament two weekends ago, as the Panthers fell to the Bowdoin Polar Bears at the 99:59 mark of overtime just as the period was expiring.

The season-concluding loss, which ended the Panthers exciting Div.III NCAA tournament run that featured several thrilling last-minute wins of their own, put the NESCAC champion squad’s final record at 16-4-1. The win total, second in school history only to the 2007 national championship side, is an impressive accomplishment for the team, but also leaves them wondering what could have been.

The NCAA sectional weekend started out with a contentious Sweet 16 matchup against the perennial New England power Babson College. Both sides had several chances in the first half, with the most promising coming when Jon Portman’s ’13 blast from the top of the box hit the post and was cleared out of harm’s way. Middlebury’s leading scorers finally broke through late in the evenly-played second half at the 79:03 mark, as Otis Pitney ’12 slotted a ball past the Babson keeper off an interception and feed from Tyler Macnee ’12.

“By the time you get to the last 16 of this tournament, there are no weak teams left,” said coach Dave Saward. “However, I felt that, based on the general run of play, we deserved the victory.” The win pitted the Panthers against a tough Bowdoin team for a third time this season, and also secured Middlebury’s third NCAA quarterfinal birth in the last four years.

In Sunday’s elite eight matchup, Brett Brazier ’13 broke the even deadlock early in the second half, scoring on a left-footed shot inside the right post off a cross from fellow sophomore Rob Cole ’13. After the goal, however, the Polar Bears dominated the run of play.

“Both teams played very well, and to be honest, when Bowdoin tied the game with eight minutes left, it was what their efforts deserved,” said Saward. “After we took the lead, Bowdoin was the more dominant team and only two magnificent saves from Tim Cahill ’12 and some very desperate defending from the back four kept Bowdoin off the board for that long.” The goal also marked the end of Cahill’s astonishing 281:46-minute consecutive shutout streak against Bowdoin this year.

The game seemed destined for a second overtime when Bowdoin was awarded a free kick with just less than fifteen seconds left in the first extra period. However, after a quick restart, a headed ball off the post, and a finish by Bowdoin’s Zach Danssaert, the game was over as the final horn sounded. According to Saward, this was one of the most disappointing finishes in his 26-year coaching career.

“Yes it was very painful,” said Saward, “especially because there was the added question of ‘did the ball actually cross the line before time expired?’ –– a question that can never accurately be answered.”

The Panthers can hold their heads high, however, as this team turned out one of the best seasons in school history and also provided fans with many dramatic wins. On the defensive side, goalie Tim Cahill recorded 12 shutouts and the stingy back four conceded a mere 11 goals in 21 matches.

“If you look at most successful teams in any sport, their defensive ability is critical to providing a foundation to win games,” said Saward. “Harrison Watkins ’11 and Jake Edwards ’11 were magnificent as our ‘generals’ on the field. In addition, Carson Cornbrooks ’11 leaves Middlebury as simply the hardest worker on the soccer field that I have ever coached.”

The graduating class of 2010 (Watkins, Andrew Strumolo, Taylor Wilkins, Edwards and Cornbrooks) played in four NESCAC finals, two NESCAC championships, three NCAA Elite Eight matches and the 2007 National Championship victory. It also produced two All Americans, one NESCAC Player of the Year (Watkins), seven NESCAC All-stars and eight All-NESCAC academic recipients.

“To put it mildly, that record is fantastic,” says Saward. “In this team’s case, the players have achieved an enormous amount and can be rightfully proud of the legacy that they leave.”

Next year’s squad now turns its focus to working hard over the off-season. The Panthers will return leading scorers Macnee and Pitney, as well as starting goalie Cahill and much of the core of the 2010 team.