Men’s soccer stunned in O.T. loss

All good things must come to an end. The Middlebury men’s soccer team’s 673-minute shutout streak that dated back to overtime of the 2009 NESCAC final game was snapped last weekend, as Colby scored two minutes before the end of the first half of Saturday’s 2-1 double-overtime loss. The Panthers still have a lot to be happy about, however, as they remain in first place of the NESCAC overall standings with a 7-1 record, 3-1 in conference play.

The past week was up and down for the team, with a commanding 4-0 victory over Plymouth State on Wednesday and the aforementioned 2-1 loss to Colby on Saturday.

Wednesday’s match against Plymouth showcased the dominant Panthers’ side that had shown up in the first six contests of the year. Otis Pitney ’12 scored unassisted 18 minutes into the game, taking a shot from the top left side of the penalty area and smashing it in off the post.  Carson Cornbrooks ’11 scored in the 34th minute assisted by Robbie Redmond ’12 to put the team up 2-0. Jake Edwards ’11 and Martin Drolet ’12, assisted by Tyler Smith ’14 and Brett Brazier ’13 respectively, sealed the victory by scoring eight minutes apart late in the second half, at the 68th and 76th minute marks. Tim Cahill ’12 recorded his fifth shutout of the season making only one save on the day. Coach Dave Saward was highly complimentary of his team’s performance.

“Pitney was magnificent against Plymouth, working hard on both sides of the ball,” said Saward. “Cornbrooks and Redmond were also all over the place while Tyler Macnee ’12 probably had his best match in a long time.” He added that his back four were “well organized” by Harrison [Watkins ’11]. All in all it was a very good road win against a very athletic and hard-working team.”

Saturday’s trip to Waterville, Maine. pitted the team against NESCAC rival Colby as it sought to keep its shutout streak and unblemished record alive. A Colby goal scored by Nick Aubin in the 43rd minute ended the first impressive streak, while Aubin’s second goal of the game in the 109th minute sealed the losing result for the Panthers. In the eyes of Saward, the Colby game left much to be improved upon.

“We failed to exert the necessary influence in the game,” said Saward. “Colby deserves credit for working hard, not dropping their heads, and scoring a goal just before the break. The biggest disappointment was our lack of threatening chances. We ran out of creativity at the most critical moments.” However, Saward was still impressed by one of his star players.

“Pitney was once again a standout player, and not simply because he got the goal. His work rate was extraordinary.” The most telling statistic of the game with regards to Middlebury’s defeat was that Colby keeper was only tested three times with shots on net.

“That is a statistic that has to improve,” said Saward. “We never tested the keeper, either with quality shots or testing crosses.”

The team will look to once again find its stride as it hosts a dangerous NESCAC rival in the Amherst Lord Jeffs this Saturday at 2:30 p.m. on the turf.