Men’s Soccer Team Earns 1-1 Draw at Bowdoin in 2OT

The Middlebury men’s soccer team failed to earn three points in its second overtime tilt of the season on Saturday, Sept. 21 at Bowdoin, instead drawing 1-1 with the Polar Bears. Middlebury now sits at 1-1-1 in conference, six points behind Amherst for the top spot.

Saturday represented a chance for the Panthers to close the gap between themselves and the top of the pack in the NESCAC as they traveled to Brunswick to play the previously 0-2 Polar Bears. Middlebury was able to put 10 shots on net but failed to truly challenge the keeper from Bowdoin.

“It was good to get so many shots on goal,” head coach Dave Saward said. “[It] shows the correct attacking mentality, however, we did not really force their keeper into a difficult save.”

Twenty-four minutes in, Bowdoin suffered an own goal that was forced by pressure from first-year midfielder Greg Conrad ’17. Middlebury played a ball over the back line that Conrad pursued with earnest. Bowdoin keeper Will Wise moved off his line just as a Bowdoin defender attempted to head the ball backward away from Conrad, inadvertently looping the ball over Wise for an own goal.

Middlebury had another strong chance in the first half when Sam Peisch ’13.5 crossed a ball into the box that Tyler Smith ’14 sent over the crossbar from six yards out.

Bowdoin evened the score in the 58th minute with a goal from Andrew Jones. Similar to the Middlebury goal, a ball played forward from the midfield created the chance. Jones found the ball and was able to pass the it into the far post for the equalizer.

Middlebury outplayed Bowdoin in overtime, but failed to place the ball in the net.

“I felt that the first half of overtime was controlled mainly by Middlebury, with the odd break from Bowdoin, while the second overtime was even, with both teams getting a couple of good chances to win the game,” Saward said.

Co-captain Peisch also believed that the score line was an unfair reflection of the effort the Panthers put in.

“Aside from a defensive breakdown on the final play of the game, our team dominated both overtime periods, creating numerous chances inside the box that we were unlucky not to finish,” Peisch said. “Though in some ways we were unfortunate to not come out with three points, our effort and energy in overtime was something that we will look to build on this week going into our next matches.”

The team left two points on the table that will likely come back to haunt them later in the season. However, both the coaching staff and the squad remain positive that the team still resides in the NESCAC title hunt.

“Our team remains confident and united despite the tie over the weekend at Bowdoin,” Peisch said. “There is a lot of parity this year in the NESCAC and our team is only going to get better as the season progresses.”

In order to move up the league table, Middlebury will have to improve on its ability to close out games.

“Overtime games are painful to lose, so I was delighted to see the team be resilient and get a draw on the road,” Saward said. “I think it should show the team that they have the inner strength to prevail in tight games.”

Co-captain Adam Batista ’14 echoed his coach’s sentiments.

“If we put together full 90 minute efforts, one game at a time, wins will come and the rest will take care of itself,” Batista said. “We expect to be near the top of the table, and we still believe a title is within our grasp.”