Middkids chart their own course Two students pursue different, novel summer experiences

Author: Joe Bergan and Aylie Baker

Every summer, Middlebury College releases about 2000 freshly educated undergraduates into the summer sun, eagerly anticipating the coming months. Some spend these warm days by a pool, while others pack into a small Manhattan apartment to get a glimpse of the real world. However, there are many bold undergrads that dare to forgo the typical and venture into the extraordinary.

"I wanted to take a trip that showed me somewhere else besides Middlebury, home and a big city," says Eric Hoest '07.5a junior Feb who aspired to spend his summer in an interesting way. After working and saving his money, Eric set out to ride his road bike all the way from Middlebury to his home in Menasha, Wisconsin. Armed with only a Felt road bike and a small trailor, he covered those parts of America that are taken for granted, or completely missed, on other long journeys. While some fly or take the interstate, Eric rode 80-100 miles a day over the small backroads of the American landscape.

While Eric discovered America, Leah Bevis '09 was perhaps in the most opposite of places. Bevis spent the summer in Uganda volunteering for a non-profit organization called Outside the Dream, which funds children's education in Uganda, supporting 72 gifted children in their pursuit of education. Bevis led a writing workshop, where she met children from a variety of backgrounds. "Some of them were refugees from Rwanda…others were forced to work in the army or were orphans raising their families after their parents had died of AIDS," explained Bevis.

What motivates these daring students? "I wanted a challenge, and I thought this would be perfect," said Hoest, who ate whatever the local flavor was. His trailer only contained the necessities - 25 pounds of gear consisting of two changes of clothes, a tent, sleeping bag and some tools. He ate at farm stands and grocery stores. Hoest showered "wherever [he] could."

But Eric wasn't the only traveler. In addition to volunteering in Kampala, where the organization is based, Bevis also traveled to Gulu in the north of Uganda, where she had an opportunity to volunteer at the Invisible Children Organization. She also had a chance to volunteer in Rakai at an orphanage which is still in the beginning stages of its operation.

"These trips are difficult to understand unless you've done one," explained Hoest. In Michigan, a road led him through public hunting grounds, where he was shot at, having been "mistaken for a deer." In Canada, he spent the night in a 1960's pop up trailer with a law professor and his wife.

Overall, the trip was an "affirmation in humanity" for Hoest, who remarked "you learn how far you can push yourself, how you can survive on 25 pounds of gear and the compassion of others." Bevis also felt the human element. She met and befriended many children while in Uganda, and has chosen to sponsor Olee, a young boy who speaks 5 languages and is top of his class at his boarding school.

According to Hoest and Bevis, it seems these trips have inspired more daring summers. Hoest is planning a cross country trip in the near future, while Bevis is also planning on returning to Uganda during J-term or this coming summer.

Bevis will be selling batiks made by local Rakai artisans in the coming weeks. All proceeds will go to aid an orphanage she visited in Rakai. For more information regarding Bevis experience and the batiks she will be selling you can contact her at leahb@middlebury.edu.