Middle schoolers become Midd-kids for a day

Author: H. Kay Merriman

"I can't wait for college! There's hot chicks there!" proclaimed a rosy-cheeked, out-of-breath sixth grader as he burst through the doors of the Pearsons Lounge on Saturday. The boy had just completed the first portion of Cook Commons' annual "Midd-kid for a Day" event, a scavenger hunt designed to lead the mini Midd-kids across campus and to show them the wide variety of activities Middlebury and college in general has to offer.

"Midd-kid for a Day is where kids from surrounding middle schools come to see what college is like," explained Cook Commons Tri-chair Sara Miller '11. "These are kids who might not normally think about college and with this, they get to see what it's all about."

"It's a good way to reach kids at a young age," added Tri-chair Monica Sull '09. "When you think about college, we usually target high school kids, but the earlier you get them interested in college, the harder they'll work in high school."

After a full day of running around the College, eating lunch in the dining hall, watching performances by the Bobolinks and Riddim, listening to an admissions talk and attending a hockey game, the 30 students from Ticonderoga and Crown Point Middle Schools seemed excited about the possibility of attending a school like Middlebury.

Co-coordinator of the event Margo Hennet '11 emphasized the importance of showing the visitors the full college experience.

"There's a big difference between hearing what college is like and seeing it for yourself, and for these kids it is important to explore any stereotypes that they might have heard," she said.

Chrissy Fulton '08, a counselor in the Office of Admissions, addressed those stereotypes, in addition to the logistical aspects of applying to college in her conversation with the kids. Emphasizing the importance of finding a school that is a good fit for the individual, she presented a myriad of options from community college to postgraduate work and explained how scholarships and grants can make school an affordable possibility. Fulton's speech aligned with the goals of College For Every Student organization that identified these middle schoolers as possessing collegiate potential.

Hosting twelve year-olds not only benefited the visiting students, but also reminded the volunteers of the lovable nuances of Middlebury College.

"This must be a very environmental place," observed one student, commenting on the plants growing on the roof of Atwater.

The college volunteers agreed that the dining hall setup was a perk of university life.

"You can eat ice cream for breakfast!" said Natasha Groblewski '09 with a wink, when a nervous boy asked her if college was hard. This answer was met with cheers as the students recalled the endless soft-serve they devoured at lunch.

While teaching the College fight song in order to prepare the visitors for the hockey game, Max Friedman '12 offered a secret about the last line, "It's going to be a hot time in the old town tonight."

"Just mumble it together," he said. "That's what everyone does."

Co-coordinator of the event and Cook Tri-chair Julie Tschirhart found that the day was hectic but rewarding.

"Getting these students acquainted with a college campus has hopefully lessened any fears, or at least erased some of the confusion they may feel about college and the college application process," Tschirhart said. "They were a fun group and I hope they got as much out of the experience as I did!"

Perhaps the lesson to be learned from Midd-kid for a Day is that whether we enjoy the "hot girls," ice cream, environmental concerns or the academic and extracurricular offerings here, we should be thankful to be Midd-kids every day.