Middlebury People of the Year

Author: Aylie Baker & Joe Bergan

The Middlebury Campus' People of the Year

Student of the Year

Kelly Brush '08

Since returning to Middlebury after a tragic skiing accident last spring that has confined her to a wheelchair, Kelly Brush '08 has demonstrated unparalleled optimism and strength - biking nine miles in a race this fall to raise money for custom sporting equipment, and inspiring her family, fellow students and faculty alike.

"It's incredible how fast she has transitioned, hardly complaining, just taking each new challenge in stride," says Kelly's sister Lindsay Brush '07.

"I have never been so inspired by someone I was so close with," says friend and roommate Lani Young '08, who likens Brush to the famous peacemakers, politicians and athletes from whom she drew inspiration from as a child. Young described visiting Brush at Berkshire Medical Center in Massachusetts, and, upon commenting on Brush's "giant white high-tops," Brush quickly responded by saying "Lans, when I get better we're going to ball together." Such optimism, asserts Young, epitomizes Brush's approach to life. "Ever since her accident she has been completely focused on the things she still can do, and not on what she can't."

Brush's resolute attitude was particularly prevalent in the film class she recently took with Visiting Assistant Professor of Film and Media Culture Deborah Ellis. Even though the limited wheelchair access in the screening room forced Kelly to sit in the far back, she managed to attend classes even in the midst of winter. "The worst day was one spring snowstorm when everyone was soaked," recalls Ellis. "Kelly's gloves were drenched from wheeling through the mush."

"I think Kelly's bravery really came through one day when she screened a video she made," says Ellis. In the video, a young woman, portrayed by Kelly, drives to the drugstore to buy a pregnancy test. Ellis explained how the class "hadn't imagined Kelly beyond her wheelchair." In screening her video, explained Ellis, "Kelly had opened up a world for the students in the class and since that day she sat higher in her chair."

In addition to driving, Brush does a variety of physical activities.

"If its active and available for her to do, she's doing it," says Lindsay - "from skiing to biking, she's never afraid."

Administrator of the Year

Dean for Institutional Diversity Shirley Ramirez

Shirley Ramirez wins our Administrator of the Year award after exhibiting incredible poise in her first year at the College dealing with the ongoing hate speech controversy.

"Shirley Ramirez is a rock star," declares Posse scholar Alina Levina '09 of the new Dean for Institutional Diversity. Since arriving at the College, Ramirez has demonstrated great dedication and poise in addressing issues of diversity on campus, and has been a veritable wellspring of optimism and guidance for students.

"While her job description doesn't have a checklist of things that she needs to accomplish," asserts Levina, "her accomplishments are seen everyday in the way she touches so many individuals by simply interacting with them."

"It's hard to believe she's only been around for a few months," says Vani Sathisan '07 who has worked closely with Ramirez as one of the co-directors of the SGA Diversity Committee. "Because you see her name everywhere and so frequently too, you'd think she's been around for ages!"

Ramirez understands students. "She's a very good listener," says Sathisan, who describes Ramirez as someone "who takes in what you're saying first, weighs it out and then provides brilliant advice and suggestions."

Her dedication to community and family are constantly reflected in her work with students. "I find her to be a role model for many young women in her ability to balance her successful career and her family life," said Levina.

And while she's only just arrived, Ramirez is already paving the way for a more embracing, more dynamic Middlebury. Just this spring she has helped tackle a variety of issues, and has great plans for the future.

"Her friendly approach, creative ideas and aplomb in her work makes me confident that she will fulfill her visions with regards to issues of diversity at Middlebury," said Sathisan.

Staff Member of the Year

Cook Commons Dean David Edleson

Cook Commons Dean David Edleson receives our Staff Member of the Year award to highlight his brilliant career at Middlebury College. This award is not simply a going away present - we feel Edleson's cumulative contribution to our community is difficult to match.

After eight years at Middlebury, Cook Commons' Dean David Edleson is moving onto new horizons. Yet as he prepares to leave the College community, he leaves a lasting imprint. "David created the heart and soul of Cook Commons," said Jessica Cox '07 of Edleson. Cox, who worked with "Dean Dave" first as a Junior Counselor and then as a Tri-Chair, explained "how it's easy to forget exactly how much good it is that he does."

After all, added Noah Feder '09, a Junior Counselor in Battell, "he connects with students in a way few other administrators can. Who else would be in the foam pit at midnight on Saturday wearing a flowery jumpsuit and floaties?"

What's more, in the face of uncomfortable issues, Edleson has consistently been one of the first to speak up. "I like to disturb the veneer," said Edleson, chuckling.

"Have the courage of your convictions," he advised, "It's an important part of learning." His unabashed sincerity is an important facet of his lasting legacy. "No matter how wacky you are, if you're fully yourself it gives other people permission to be themselves," he said.

"You don't replace someone like David," said Cook Commons Coordinator Linda Schiffer.

While the College wishes him the best of luck as he embarks on his own "year abroad," there's no doubt that Edleson's infectious laugh, boisterous costumes and what Schiffer deems "wonderful, clean efficiency," will be sorely missed.

Professor of the Year

Assistant Professor of Theatre Claudio Medeiros

Claudio Medeiros wins the Professor of the Year for his rendition of "Cabaret" which has garnered more deserved hype and praise than any other art offering at our community this year.

If you ask Claudio Medeiros, the accomplishments that earned him one of our people of the year distinctions are seemingly accidental.

"It was all Bill Army '07.5 and Sally Swallow's '07 idea, it came to me after it was all set," says Medeiros, referring to the two leads in "Cabaret," a production that Medeiros has realized over the past semester. Both Army and Swallows were so passionate about musical theatre, "it would be a shame if we didn't do it," he says.

But if you ask members of his cast, Medeiros deserves much of the credit.

"Claudio quickly jettisoned any preconceptions I had about musical theater clichÈs," wrote MacLeod Andrews '07.5, in an email. Andrews plays "Cliff" in the production.

Musical theatre, and specifically "Cabaret" is not foreign to Medeiros. As a student at Middlebury College, he performed in musicals, but it was in Berekely where Medeiros encountered "Cabaret" intimately, playing the role of the "MC."

Although Medeiros has relished the opportunity Cabaret presented to him, he is not eager to jump on any projects too quickly.

"There are many musicals that I would not be interested in - they are generally too expensive," he says, noting that Cabaret is different.

"Cabaret tells a poignant story, Cabaret has meat. It has substance, it asks important questions about an exciting and terrifying and interestingly complex period."

But what makes Claudio tick? At an academic institution like Middlebury, every theatrical play
explores the surrounding art, history and culture. How has Claudio's rendition of "Cabaret" been able to sell out Seeler Theatre two weekends in a row.

"My production is very queer, and that's something I wanted," Medeiros says.