Middlebury ‘sisters’ attend national conference

When Tammy Duckworth was pejoratively labeled “the army mom” for giving out hot cocoa to soldiers before their morning flights, she knew something had to change.

Insulted by the epithet, Duckworth, captain of a 500-soldier aviation task force, stopped providing hot drinks for her crew. But when their performance began to suffer, she realized that her attitude needed to change.

“From this experience, I learned not to suppress my femininity, even in a field dominated by men,” Duckworth said, addressing the 2009 National Conference for College Women Student Leaders. “I should have taken the term ‘army mom’ as a compliment.”

Duckworth, along with four other women, was honored at the conference as a Woman of Distinction. Hosted by the University of Rhode Island, the conference draws between 200 and 300 participants each year from colleges across the nation. The two-day event features keynote speakers, panels and workshops and the unique opportunity to network with women from all over the country. Among the attendees were Middlebury College students Ashley Cheung ’11 and Sydney Alphonso ’12.

Cheung and Alphonso initially heard about the conference through Sister to Sister. The organization plans activities for middle school girls from Middlebury, Bristol and Vergennes, including game nights at the Grille, cooking parties, and log rolling competitions. These activities bring together girls of all ages and provide a safe, engaging environment for younger participants. Both Cheung and Alphonso have been involved since their first year.

Ashley Panichelli ’10 is an active member of Sister to Sister. “For me, the most rewarding part of Sister to Sister has been being able to see a change in the middle school girls who attend our events,” she said. “They become more confident and eager with each year.”

For Alphonso, the highlight of the conference was listening to the speeches. “It’s amazing to hear people you admire talk about the things they’re passionate about,” she said.

The Women of Distinction, including Tammy Duckworth, Diane Rehm, Martine Rothblatt, Anucha Browne Sanders and Melissa Poe, were sources of inspiration for Cheung and Alphonso.

“They each had their own path to success,” said Alphonso.

Martine Rothblatt, a transgendered honoree, was recognized for founding a biotechnology company that has led efforts to develop new medicines for pulmonary arterial hypertension and ovarian cancer. Diane Rehm began her career as a volunteer producer and is now the host of National Public Radio’s “Diane Rehm Show.” Melissa Poe founded an environmental awareness organization, and Anucha Browne Sanders, currently the Senior Associate Athletic Director of Marketing at the University of Buffalo, was fired for speaking out against the sexual harassment she and her female colleagues faced while working as executives for the New York Knicks.

The speakers at the conference talked about the hardships they faced on the road to success. Keynote speaker Nontumbi Naomi Tutu, daughter of Archbishop Desmond Tutu, talked about the discrimination she endured under apartheid in South Africa. With her friend and colleague, Rose Bader, Tutu formed an organization called Sister Sojourner, which brings together women from the United States and South Africa to interact and learn from one another.

“Think about the strong women who came before you and their struggles, and take action for those who come after you,” Tutu advised the attendees.