New budget policy gives clubs greater flexibility

The Student Government Association Finance Committee (SGAFC) has approved changes to its budgeting and allocation system, that are expected to cut bureaucracy in funding the College’s clubs and allow them more freedom to spend.
The decision is a product of the committee’s year-long struggle to design a system better suited to clubs’ needs. Tom Brush ’10, chair of the SGAFC, said that the new rules have been designed to minimize oversight and to simplify the process by which clubs spend their funds. Removing the weekly request system, treasurers are now given full access to their budgets, allowing for freer spending choices and more spontaneous events.

“In the past, our rules produced events that were wholesome and academic in nature, but not necessarily what the students were passionate about,” said Brush. “By allowing more flexibility, groups can better prove themselves with popular events, strong leadership and interesting topics.”

Student organizations will continue to receive a budget allocated from the Student Activities Fund at the beginning of the academic year. However, annually approved budgets will no longer be as important as they were in the past, making it easier for groups to incur unexpected costs and act on new ideas.

Expenditures will be sent to SGAFC for approval after the fact by way of clubs’ receipts, with treasurers being held personally liable for the allocation of their budget. This, in tandem with periodic auditing, will provide accountability.
Coming from a meeting with the committee Saturday morning, Charles Giardina ’12, president of Radio Theater, was happy with the newly granted flexibility. “The Finance Committee is placing more faith in us,” said Gardina. “Clubs and students alike will reap the benefits of these changes.”

Annabelle Fowler ’10, president of International Students’ Organization (ISO), also lauded the changes, saying that the past system had been burdensome this year due to rejected funding requests, despite similar requests being accepted in the past.

“Theoretically, we had the funds we needed,” she said. “In practice, however, when we submitted requests to use this money, some of our petitions were denied. Under the new regulations we would not have this problem.”

Fowler noted that the changes would not come without challenges, however. Due to the greater freedom, she “would not be surprised if the SGA cut funding.” Moreover, she believes that future club treasurers will act as a “student organization-SGAFC liaison” to compensate for their financial freedom.

Pier LaFarge ’10.5, treasurer of the Middlebury Mountain Club (MMC), likewise questioned the treasurer’s role under the new guidelines. Under the changes, only club treasurers have access to the budget index code, meaning that they must be present for every club purchase.

“I think that makes a lot of sense for smaller organizations that hold a few events each year,” he said. “However, given the number of trips and activities we hold, it would be almost impossible for one person to be there for every transaction made by MMC.”

LaFarge added that MMC expects SGAFC to be accommodating in making the system efficient, and that the new rules are better for their needs overall.

“The changes that the SGAFC has made under Tom Brush’s leadership are a positive step towards a more open and flexible system,” he said. “I absolutely support the decision.”

Fowler agreed. “A lump-sum budget at the beginning of the year means more flexibility in our event planning,” she said. “With this comes a higher quantity and quality of events, less waste and more responsibility.”

In an e-mail, Brush reiterated that the changes are experimental, but that clubs have supported the decision thus far. “We think it’s a step in the right direction,” he said.

“The policy marks an exciting new opportunity for the social landscape at Middlebury to become even more vibrant, creative and exciting for all sorts of students,” said LaFarge.