New scholarships introduced for Monterey applicants

The Monterey Institute of International Studies will offer 50 new scholarships each year for applicants that fund attendance of Middlebury College Language Schools, the Monterey Institute Summer Intensive Language Program or Monterey’s Intensive English Program before beginning graduate enrollment at the Monterey Institute.

The Betty and David Jones Language Scholarships will fund students studying Arabic, Chinese, French, Japanese, Russian and Spanish at the Middlebury Language schools. The scholarships will also fund students studying at the Monterey Institute Summer Intensive Language Program, which offers studies in Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish and the Monterey Intensive English Program, which enrolls English as a Second Language (ESL) students.

According to a press released published by Communications Office, the scholarships are “designed to strengthen the linguistic competency of incoming Monterey Institute students.”

“The program will award the scholarships to highly qualified applicants to the Monterey Institute to help these students enhance their language skills prior to enrolling in graduate programs at Monterey,” explained the release.

The scholarships will fund a range of expenses, from full tuition for students who attend the Summer Intensive Language Program or the Intensive English Program at the Monterey Institute, to full tuition, room, and board for those who attend the Middlebury Language Schools.

Betty Jones is an alumna of the Middlebury School of French and served on the Board of Trustees for 15 years. Her husband, David Jones, is a member of the Monterey Institute board of governors. The two are regarded as strong supporters of both the College and the Monterey Institute.

The Monterey Institute of International Studies became an official graduate school of the College on July 1, 2010.

The Betty and David Jones Language Scholarships will work along with the Kathryn Davis Fellowships for Peace, another source of funding for Monterey Institute students who attend Middlebury’s Language Schools.