notes from the desk Middlebury is the new Prague

Author: Jay Dolan

Spending a semester abroad is a popular part of the Middlebury experience. Many first-year and sophomore students have already decided which semester, as well as what part of the world, they'll be enjoying away from their monotonous college lives. In fact, a minority of students will spend the full eight semesters, and four winter terms, at Middlebury. The reason for this could be a desired break from the price tag of the College or perhaps a genuine interest in broadening their cultural horizons. In any case, juniors staying on campus the entire year are likely to experience two very different semesters with the arrival and departure of friends midway through the year.

If you are not going abroad you might think it is depressing to watch friends leave. It is depressing, but Facebook takes it one step further. In an effort to salt your wounds, you'll see pictures of your friends living it up in some foreign country and responsibly enjoying alcoholic beverages. This is all happening while you cower under the stairs from the wrath of Public Safety.

Meanwhile your best friend and his new buddy from Pomona, Colgate or wherever will probably spend most of their time sitting in a room with beautiful women, drinking brew-dogs and high-fiving each other. Keep in mind that there will be pictures of this, so you'll know it to be true. Your buddy might even mention your plight back in the States, at which point they'll pause and have a laugh at your expense. Your Facebook pictures on the other hand will remain about as exciting as Ross Dining Hall or Pub Night (Pub Night is great by the way). You may also get the idea that everyone abroad is doing little to no academic work. Well, you're absolutely right. They aren't, but can you blame them?

I was in the minority of juniors who hung around last year and, despite these setbacks, it was not the end of the world. Even though my presence on campus was slightly forced, I managed to get by. In fact, I took things a step further and spent the entire summer in the ol' town. Now, before you assume I am insane, hear me out.

My summer abroad in Middlebury, Vt. was just as eye-opening as a night in Prague. Okay, not really, but there is no question that Middlebury is very different in the summer months than during the school year. Besides the obvious climate change, a summer in Middlebury allows you the opportunity to get to know the town. If you can live here during the summer - without incarcerating yourself in language school - you will not be disappointed. My summer involved a job that was relevant to my career ambitions, but did not overwhelm me with work.

If you can justify your stay with some sort of job, and I'm mainly suggesting research jobs, an internship or even something small off-campus, you can finally enjoy Middlebury the way it should be enjoyed. In other words, you no longer have to be an intense outdoorsman. You'll realize that hiking does not have to mean subzero temperatures and beating your hand against a tree so you can feel feelings again.

Living in Middlebury during the summer months is probably the best decision I have made in a while. It changed the way I look at the school and the town. I am glad I figured this out now. Some people realize how great Middlebury is a little too late. Hence, they never end up leaving. I can understand why. However, by the end of the year I'll have taken more away from Middlebury than I deserve. Hopefully I will realize that it's time to go and be thankful that I did not miss out on the experience all together. Go abroad, but make sure to get your fill of Middlebury before you leave. Or, just don't leave.

Jay Dolan '08 is the Opinions Editor from Richmond, Va.