Notes from the Desk: Middlebury strikes gold

I don’t know about everyone else out there, but the month of February flew by for me. In an instant. Yet, looking back, I marvel at what a month it was. For the first time in several years, I was truly proud of my school.

The first couple of weeks saw President Liebowitz outlining a new financial philosophy for the school. His speech impressed me for a number of reasons. I saw a leader at the helm of the school, recognizing the problems with the status quo and developing an innovative solution to generate revenue. Liebowitz’s plan is not without its faults but it represents the power of thinking outside the box. I had missed that type of thinking in the administration before the speech.

In moving the College in a new direction, Liebowitz showed that he recognized the traits that make Middlebury the special place it is. Preserving financial aid, student faculty ratios and announcing no further staff cuts showed that the Middlebury community could finally begin to heal.

Then came the “Midd Kid” rap in a blaze of glory. The video, which has more than 120,000 views on YouTube and has been picked up by the New York Times, showcases the best Middlebury student creativity has to offer. Of course, it is not the typical Midd experience. The creators did not intend it to be.

I have never seen so many students turn out for a Middlebury event as did for the video release party. Students, staff and even trustees showed up at 9 p.m. on a Saturday night for the premiere. That attendance shows that the video inspired and united the community to think about what the identity of the College actually is. It shows student creativity knows no bounds.

Less than a week after the video’s grand unveiling, we awoke in the dark to emergency messages announcing the cancellation of morning classes. Students wasted little time. Over the course of the morning, spontaneous snowball fights sprung up across campus. Gigantic snow people decorated Proctor Terrace and McCullough lawn. Unofficial Winter Carnival mascots were christened.

Students impressed me with how they responded to the cancellation of classes and with their resourcefulness in the snow. Some, undoubtedly, retreated to their warm rooms and read that final ERes for class, but most seized the day and had fun. We shouldn’t have to wait for a surprise snowstorm to create that environment for ourselves. It’s college. Take a break from work and have fun.

Winter Carnival was the most inspiring part of the month. Students braved freezing temperatures and blowing snow to support the ski teams. Amazingly attired students showed up to the Go Gold Ball and DJ Earworm provided the beats to one of the most highly attended school-sponsored dances that I’ve been to.

Additionally, the Middlebury Chili Festival was one of best events I’ve ever attended. The event was notable not only for the sheer quantity of delicious chili (I’ve never been so full in my life) but for the impressive collaboration between the town and College. I enjoyed interacting with local business owners and town residents in the same venue. Students impressed me because they turned out in such great numbers to support their town. We must ensure the continued existence and success of this event.

All of these signs suggest to me that the College is finally ready to emerge from the recession more optimistic than ever. This month has been an example of the best Middlebury has to offer. Innovative solutions to problems from the administration, organized and spontaneous student creativity and joint events that involve both students and town residents are what make us great. If we can continue to promote these traits, the potential for Middlebury is endless.