Notes from the Desk Presidential elections are my life

Author: Alex Garlick

The last time there was a presidential election it literally consumed my life; of course, I was working full time for the Kerry/Edwards campaign during my Feb semester, a move that did not end up bolstering my résumé in the way I hoped it would. This year, as more of an impartial commentator, my immersion into the daily polls and grind of the campaign is much less encompassing. But still, I find it fascinating.

Often we read complaints about government policy in this space. To all the cynics out there, here is your chance to change that. And don't tell me it doesn't matter; there isn't a single corner of the globe unaffected by the actions the President of the United States. And as the Opinions section will demonstrate in these next six weeks, there are distinct differences between both the candidates and their parties.

So the question is: who will be the best president for our country? While I have a preferred candidate, I cannot say for sure that I know the country will be better off in the short run, or the long run, under either candidate's leadership; and I truly hope that all of this paper's readership thinks long and hard about that question before entering the voting booth. Aristotle's Politics inform us that the best regime is one in which its citizens live a life of virtue; so far, I find it hard to describe either campaign's actions as truly virtuous. Barack Obama changed his position on an important issue to me, campaign finance reform, when the rules were no longer in his favor. And in a desperate move of blatant political pandering, John McCain picked a vice presidential nominee woefully unprepared for the position; a move that betrayed much of what McCain previously stood for. Both candidates have work to do before they earn my seal of approval.

But what about Aristotle's seal of approval? He wrote in the first book of Nicomachean Ethics (and no politician should ever be without his ethics), "While it is satisfactory to acquire and preserve the good even for an individual, it is finer and more divine to acquire and preserve it for a people and for cities." So I think that Aristotle would look to these politicians and look for the man who will extend good to the entire people, and not just himself or a select group of supporters. Once again, I think the big guy would wait to pass judgment.

Unfortunately, the banter of this campaign has devolved from high political discourse towards petty partisan pokes and sound bytes. Maybe it will get better in a couple weeks when the debates pick up, but I swear I'm going to lose my mind if I read another word about lipstick. And shame on the candidates if they let their campaigns focus on distracting voters; you can blame it on the media all you want, but I've worked for a campaign communications department, and they have influence over the media cycle. Call me an idealist, but I want my president to be the man who is best qualified for the job, not the best at swindling voters into elevating him to that revered post.

I'm not going to use this space to plead for you to tune in. This campaign will grab your attention, regardless of who you are. I just ask that you form your own opinion. Don't just vote against the Democrats because they'll make you pay more taxes. Remember, the quality of the tax spending is more important than the quantity. And don't hold it against the Republicans that they picked a vice president who isn't qualified to lead an international relations discussion section, never mind a summit, or maybe you should? What do I know? They're your opinions; I can't come up with them, I just print them.

(Editor's Note: For the Campus' complete election coverage see "CAMP0101: Election 2008" on page 10.)