Notes from the Desk What I learned over break

Author: Chris Heinrich

Middlebury's cherished Feb Break is officially over, and we have found ourselves, once again, jumpstarting the new semester. As with all prior fresh beginnings, I sit here musing over the future and what I can bring with me into the spring that I had not previously realized. Spending all but two days of the break in sunny Middlebury, Vt, the past couple weeks provided a lot of time to answer these questions. And though I envy my housemate's sun-baked skin, courtesy of Puerto Rico, and another's new found appreciation of London nightlife, ten days in stress-free Middlebury were encouraging and useful.

Some of the things I learned are rather simple. First, Blazin' Buffalo Ranch flavored Doritos are addictive and will satisfy the cravings of any junk food aficionado (you can get them from the vending machine below Ross Dining Hall). Along the same lines, Roast Beef Ramen is delicious, despite my pre-judgments. More importantly, a plastic slinky will consistently end up in a tangled mess before it relieves boredom, and a reliable wig or two should always be accessible for spontaneous fun.

In between my binges and pleasure pursuits, I also gathered a few things about the new Feb class. Snapping photos of convocation and the square dance, I had the chance to watch and interact with the just-arrived students. I predict them to take this campus by (a much-needed) storm. Not yet jaded, they are energetic, outgoing, intriguing, and, above all, gorgeous. A superficial observation, perhaps? Sorry, but I am a second-semester senior. To all those new-comers reading: you can find my extension in the directory.

The final lesson I learned over break can be translated into a message for all of my fellow seniors (and daring others, too). Ever since high school I have pondered ways to overcome procrastination, conquer hundreds of pages of reading every week and other aspects of academic life that haunt us all. I have always been a good student (as we all are here at Middlebury), and I have realized that my time is almost up. If push comes to shove, I know I can write a paper in one night and skip a reading here and there. With three months left of my college career, I have a revived confidence in my abilities and an obligation to enjoy the non-academic parts of Midd life.

So, with that said, I urge you all to take a deep breath as you buy your first wig, devour your favorite snack, gawk at a new Feb or just live out the spring semester as best you possibly can.