op-ed An update on the Proctor Terrace

Author: Susan Personette

I would like to try to clarify some of the issues around the temporary closing of Proctor Hall's Woodstove Lounge. But first, I'd like to apologize for the glitch in communications about this closure that caught some members of our community by surprise. Simply stated, several well-intentioned people associated with the management of the project thought that the other was notifying the campus. Despite the best of intentions, this kind of thing happens. I am truly sorry for the stress or inconvenience it caused.

That said, I'll now respond to some of the concerns expressed in the past couple of issues of The Campus and hopefully put some minds at greater ease.

The reason the College is undertaking the Terrace waterproofing project this spring is that there is inadequate time to do that work AND the rest of the Proctor renovation in the anticipated September '08 - June '09 construction period, should the project be approved. With a campus that operates on a 12-month basis as we do, finding the "right time" to take a facility off-line for renovations is a perpetual challenge. The College looks at all of the impacts of such an action, weighs them carefully and makes a decision.

The purposes of the Terrace reconstruction are to correct a long-standing water infiltration problem in the space below the Terrace, to resurface the Terrace in a safer and more attractive "floor" material for all to enjoy in the warm months and to make the facility accessible to everyone. The 1,500-square-foot space currently used for book rush downstairs will be turned over to student co-curricular activities such as rehearsals, small performances, practices, seminars, dinners, etc. Since a major need for this kind of space emerged out of the Master Plan process, the College would like to address that need as soon as possible. I fully expect that when Proctor reopens in June '09, the short-term loss of the Woodstove Lounge will be more than offset by the longer-term gain of (1) a refreshed and updated Woodstove Lounge and (2) a new student co-curricular facility. A new book rush space will have been incorporated into the expanded and renovated Book Store.

The book rush space is not storage space, by the way - it has two active uses. The space is used for retail sales during book rush each semester, during each of three Language School sessions and during book buy-back at the end of each term. It is also the receiving, processing and staging area for all books received by the Book Store. The book rush space must be in the same building as the Book Store because its operations are contiguous with the Book Store's.

I was glad to read in The Campus that the Woodstove Lounge is a valuable community resource for students. The College seeks to provide this kind of informal, multi-purpose gathering and social space because we believe they are important to our sense of community. For the two and a half months that the Woodstove Lounge will be used for book rush, a temporary replacement will be set up in the former Crest Room adjacent to the main dining room at Proctor. Most of the old familiar furniture and booths will be moved there.

As has been previously written in The Campus, if approved by the Board in May, Proctor will close for renovations during the academic year 2008-2009 and reopen in June '09.? Toward that end, the College is about to re-start the renovation design that was put on hold 15 months ago. As a vital part of the design process at that time, students were invited to attend focus groups with the architects to provide feedback and guidance about the renovation design. Student comments and concerns were critical in defining the essential character of Proctor dining so that what is most cherished about this facility could be preserved and/or enhanced in the new design.

I am happy to report that the design process is just starting up again. At an open meeting in April, the architects will present what they've drawn up so far to all interested students and seek their input. I heartily encourage all students who want to express their opinions about the plans for Proctor dining to attend this meeting. Come and let us know what you think! This is your chance -? don't miss the opportunity to help shape Proctor's future. (Date and location to be announced shortly).

I hope this helps answer some of the concerns about the Terrace reconstruction project. I am happy to answer more questions about that project or the renovation of Proctor dining. I look forward to seeing students at the open meeting, and to sharing with the campus community a refreshed and renewed Proctor Hall that will serve student needs - even better than it currently does - for the next 10-15 years.

Susan Personette is associate vice president for Facilities.