op-ed Clinton's failing candidacy threatens to bring Obama's down with it

Author: Rodrigo Seira

There has been much talk about Tuesday's Democratic primaries. In a must-win situation, with Obama seemingly ready to deliver a knockout punch, Hillary Clinton was able to score an impressive win in Ohio and capture the popular vote in Texas. The second of Hillary's death-defying wins came as a surprise to many of us. While general consensus was that Obama's momentum would assure him the nomination, Tuesday's results have incited many speculations. The question on everyone's mind is this - can she really win? Or are Tuesday's victories simply too little, too late? While the Clinton campaign answers with a resounding "no," the math tells a different story. When all the votes are counted, Hillary's victories Tuesday will net her around 10 delegates - leaving her a whole 15 "Ohios" short of pulling even with Obama.

So what did Hillary Clinton accomplish with Tuesday's win? While her victories effectively stopped her campaign's February freefall and earned her the well-deserved nickname of "The Comeback Kid," they only serve to prolong her already doomed campaigning. Her chances of wining the pledged delegate battle are short of miniscule, leaving her with very limited options. The Clinton game plan is to try to convince the 400 or so uncommitted superdelegates to vote for her - by destroying Obama's reputation and questioning his ability to become commander-in-chief - and to attempt to seat the delegates of Michigan and Florida - states that she agreed would not be counted in the primaries.

So after Tuesday, the future looks bleak not only for her campaign but also for the Democratic Party as a whole. In the best of scenarios, Obama will slowly recapture his momentum and send Hillary home with a win in Pennsylvania. That, however, still means seven more weeks of confrontation in what seems to be drifting into an increasingly hostile race - on both sides. No one wants to see another election based on the politics of fear, and with Clinton's strong focus on foreign policy, that is where it seems to be headed. I thought we were trying to end wars, not start new ones. While, in Clinton's mind, this is the way to make sure the democratic candidate is one who is "vetted" and ready to take on the Republican attack, its results could be catastrophic. A prolonged primary race will not only cost the winner millions of dollars, but it also has the potential of producing a candidate that is severely wounded by the time the general elections role around. All this while giving the Republican nominee John McCain a much needed chance to peacefully fundraise - now that he bailed out on his federal funding promise - and unite the Republican Party.

But what about the worst-case scenario? If Hillary Clinton is somehow able to destroy Obama's credibility and miraculously convince the superdelegates to support her - in the needed 2-1 ratio - she will effectively be handing over the election to McCain. Having the superdelegates decide the election will cause a revolt in the party and will send many Democrats running to the dark - red - side. Clinton is already one of politics' most polarizing figures - with an impressive disapproval rating - and it is fact that if she wins with negative campaigning and by reversing the popular will, many Democrats will not vote for her.

The Democrats have a lot to be proud of this primary season. Not only do we have the first serious African-American and female presidential candidates, but we also have shown a new commitment and energized a whole new generation of voters. From record turnouts all over the country to record-breaking fundraising, this primary is definitely one for the books. However, the Democrats must not take their eyes from the big prize. If Obama wins, which is still the most likely outcome, Hillary will have directly contributed to weakening his campaign in the general election. If Hillary Clinton wins, she will directly contribute to the weakening of her own campaign and enter the race with a divided party and an opponent who strongly appeals to both sides - the only possible recipe for a Republican win in 2008. I do not wish to diminish Senator Clinton's merits, for she has shown resilience and persistency, which are admirable, but the facts are clear. If Hillary Clinton cares more for the Democratic Party and the future of the country than she does about her own presidential ambitions, she must drop out.

Rodrigo Seira '11 is from Boulder, Colo.