Op-Ed Fight for your professorship

Author: Louis Lobel

Are we the first generation not to believe in the power of people?

Or are we just more willing to assume someone else will take care of it? I mean, as a Midd student, who has the time, right?

Everybody has something they believe in, something they will take a stand for or fight against. At least that is what we like to think. Here at Middlebury College, we pride ourselves on our education: we are informed, articulate and concerned. We all have topics that get us fired up - it could be the war in Iraq or the recent loss of Habeas Corpus. Perhaps you're infuriated by the mass genocide, a present day holocaust, in Sudan, or at the lack of genuine representation in politics. But when was the last time you actually got up and took a stand? When was the last time that you took the issue you "stand for" and did just that, took a stand and made yourself heard?

Maybe the problem is that most issues do not directly affect students here at Middlebury. We can turn a blind eye because, in general, prominent issues do not impact our daily lives, and there is no urgency for change. In the 1960s, thousands of college-aged citizens responded in protest to a draft that directly threatened them. It is depressing that today people do not respond to problems unless they are at the door; if they truly cared about today's atrocities, wouldn't they rise?

The College promotes diplomacy and discussion when issues emerge. When people have had qualms with an event that affects their environment, this institution has promoted, even necessitated, discourse on the issue. Yet, by focusing on discussion, we seem to have forgotten action. We have unintentionally suppressed the passion, the love and the anger that ignited the talk and could have spurred people to act.

As many know, there has been widespread dissent over the recent creation of a professorship in the memory of former Chief Justice Rehnquist. Many of us do not believe that Justice Rehnquist represents the values Middlebury claims to hold. He promoted segregation, sided against women's rights, helped dismantle expansive civil rights, upheld the death penalty for minors and the mentally challenged and opposed gay rights. Rehnquist's decisions have affected the lives of friends and neighbors and even affect some of us personally. There are many others who could have been honored, and while we realize the monetary incentive of the Rehnquist professorship, we believe our values should not be sold, even when it aids a fantastic professor. Middlebury should care about the values it is built on, and students, faculty and alumni should care when the representation of those values are compromised.

A group of us have proposed to President Liebowitz that we create a student-sponsored professorship based on the values that we, the Middlebury College community, would want representing us and the College. While we are aware that professorships in general are funding for faculty research, we hope to create at least a symbolic title to honor faculty members that embody the true values of the Middlebury community. At the very least, the administration and community will know that many of us are angry about how they have chosen to represent us.

We do not care where you stand on the Rehnquist chair dedication, or whether you are indifferent. But, if you care about your representation and don't like the match, then instead of just talking about it, stand up!

In the pursuit of upholding the values I believe in, there is going to be a protest outside the President's Office on Friday. We know that the professorship will not be revoked as there is monetary backing, but if we can create something lasting, something to show future generations that we didn't sit silently as our values were sold, we feel it is worth the time taken out of that one day.

But in general, for all the issues you care about, no matter your beliefs or allegiances, stand up for what you think. Continue to talk about the issues, but also rise in protest when something is not OK. The reason students do not see protests around campus is that for the most part, there aren't any. Many students are involved with organizations that are promoting changes in important issues, but there is no widespread feeling of urgency causing people to act.

Anger can be constructive when used effectively and there are things to be angry about. Maybe if enough will rise, people will again believe that they have the power to promote change. It is with this hope that there will be people outside Old Chapel at noon on Friday, fighting against what we believe is wrong. Join me and others and see who will take that stand.