OP-ED In defense of political fliers

Author: Christian Brady

Regardless of my personal opinion on the propriety or tastefulness of the political fliers plastered around campus for the last month, I think it's important that we consider what we stand to gain and lose by discouraging these posters, writing them off as "counterproductive" to political discourse. Of all the places where an individual's voice, no matter how ill-informed or contrary to one's own, should be encouraged, taken into account or at the very least tolerated, Middlebury is as good a place as any, and ought to be. On a college campus, the freedom of expression demonstrates just how productive learning can be when we are confronted by a plurality of ideas, which prompt us to question the very fabric of our understanding of the world.

Disagreement is not always pleasant nor intelligent, but it does always advance the causes of truth and rationality and leaves us better equipped to confront the staggeringly complicated moral and ethical dilemmas of our age. Provided we are willing to take the time to first acknowledge that the legitimacy of our own views should never be taken for granted, and, second, make the effort to argue our opinions to the fullest extent of our abilities as honestly as possible - not simply write off others' sentiments as "unproductive," "insensitive," or "disturbing and confusing."

Perhaps the one issue that I find disturbing - and I concede it is probably a paltry concern - is the poster creator's choice of anonymity. The only conclusion I can draw is that such precautions are taken out of fear, but of what? Administrative disciplinary measures? Ostracism from the community? Accountability? The former seem punishments worth enduring to make one's honest and ardent opinion known, and the latter is of the utmost importance to the authenticity of the message: writers who fail to hold themselves accountable to their words are either afraid of the repercussions or not being entirely truthful. Here lies an unnerving ambiguity.

Perhaps apathy is not currently the fashionable platform of the time, but surely it deserves just as much validity as any other prevailing opinion. When discussing what we stand to gain by rejecting seemingly offensive expressions of thought, its important to put in perspective what we might lose: the authority to call ourselves objective, open-minded thinkers.