OP-ED May Middlebury never lose its balance

Author: James Kerrigan

Middlebury College's 2003-2004 prospectus still owns a piece of real estate on my dorm room's bookshelf. Its cover and its message have lingered with me long after I first stepped foot into the Emma Willard House five years ago. Four pictures and one powerful definition graced the cover: "balance: n, a state of equilibrium." The second definition seemed more relevant: "(1) mind: seeking to understand the world through study and reflection, (2) body: engaging in physical activity for health and happiness, (3) soul: creatively expressing emotions and ideas through artistic endeavors; creating connections with others." This was the school to which I was attracted.

Three years and 346 days after stepping into Twilight 305 for my first class, I love Middlebury more than I thought I could ever love a college. I will cherish my time here forever. But as I move into a period of intense reflection, it's hard to completely ignore my concerns for the future.

In May 2006, the Middlebury Board of Trustees voted unanimously to support the strategic plan; the December 2008 report tracks the progress of its implementation and notes that "given the current financial climate that we are facing, certain aspects of the strategic plan have been reprioritized." Fair enough. However, the problem lies not in reprioritizing the 82 recommendations of the strategic plan, but in the College's failure to preserve and commit to a core set of beliefs and values while it engages in this improvement.

More specifically, fancy new buildings have accommodated the expanding student population and the acquisition of the Monterey Institute and new international programs have plumped Middlebury up during its decade of growth. But it seems that, despite over 200 years of existence, Middlebury is going through a period of adolescence. Luckily this hasn't involved awkward first dates and regrettable acne, but unfortunately it has led to an increase in self-consciousness and insecurity.

For example, recommendation number two is to seek more applicants with special academic talents and recommendation number four is to identify and recruit more top-rated academic applicants. To me, this sounds like something that would fill the pages of an Ivy League document, not a liberal arts one. The importance of attracting an ideal student body is obvious enough, but sometimes the best students are not necessarily the right ones. While I understand that dealing with the paradox of running an educational institution like a business is a nearly impossible challenge, Middlebury should not try to be something it is not. Let Dartmouth and Princeton fill their classes with an exceptional tuba player, star wide receiver and accomplished biologist. We should pursue a well-rounded class comprised not of talented and specialized individuals, but of well-rounded individuals - students who understand the value of balance.

Even the newest mission statement, adopted in the spring of 2006, has lost sight of the essence of Middlebury. Absent from the declaration that is supposed to "reflect our aspirations and future directions" is any mention of balance. Intellectual activities are overemphasized, while creativity and physical activity are not valued intrinsically. The mission statement should be unwavering, which is why the recent divergence saddens me. These pages have often lamented the dearth of tradition here at Middlebury, and rightfully so. Tradition arises from overlapping, shared experiences, and with no continuity between generations or even half-generations of students, it is in danger of disappearing.

These growing pains are unavoidable, but as we have heard so many times, it is what you learn from your mistakes that counts. As such, I hope that Middlebury recognizes that it is a terrific institution and need not be so insecure. Thus, if it can emerge from this recent growth and development with a heightened awareness of what Middlebury is all about, then the intricacies of the strategic plan can take an appropriate back seat to the perpetuation of a true liberal arts education, one that involves the mind, body and soul.