Op-Ed Student Government Can Matter

Author: Max Nardini

My experiences last year as Sophomore Senator taught me that we, the Middlebury Community, do not have a common conception of what the Student Government Association (SGA) is, what it does or what it can do. Many define SGA as the voice of the student body. I agree. But what does "the voice of the student body" really mean? Allow me to share my thoughts concerning the function and purpose of student government.

The structure of SGA is simple. There are two bodies: the Presidential Cabinet and the Senate. The Cabinet is composed of Committee heads, which are appointed by the President, while the Senate is made up of elected student representatives from the classes and commons. As part of its responsibilities, the Senate debates and votes on resolutions.

Senate resolutions are best described as "resolutions of sentiment." They are meant to demonstrate student support of a particular plan or policy change to the administration. On certain issues, the administration and the SGA see eye to eye. SGA-sponsored buses to New York City and Boston for breaks serve as a fine example of such a resolution. In this case, student-representatives and administrators recognized a student need and worked together to implement the now very successful service.

Other issues are more complicated. Middlebury administrators, like the managers of any good business, must perpetually balance college services with cost. Therefore, when a new initiative is proposed, the administration looks to see not simply if it has student support, but how high the initiative ranks on the list of student priorities.

Take the Sunday Night Group Initiative "Middshift," aimed at making Middlebury carbon neutral, for example. Given the general scientific consensus on the pernicious effects of climate change, this initiative seems a worthwhile pursuit. However, the administration will want to judge student commitment to this plan. How high of a priority is campus-wide carbon neutrality for students? What about in relation to other college benefits such as funding for student clubs, the spring concert or financial aid? This is not to say that Middlebury could not have a carbon neutral campus, a spring concert and provide financial aid to students, but simply that the college does not have unlimited financial resources and must balance its expenditures.

This is why ubiquitous and often irksome surveys are necessary. In and of themselves Senate resolutions, which are voted on by 17 total representatives, are usually not enough to demonstrate widespread student support. Surveys are the most comprehensive method for the SGA and the administration to weigh student opinion.

So then, what is the value of Student Government? SGA is the potential bridge between the administration and the students. A position in SGA provides easier access to the administration, and thus the opportunity to voice student proposals and opinions, as revealed in surveys. However, members of the SGA must possess the conviction to meet with administrators - and to speak up. The best criteria by which to judge the senatorial candidates is whether you truly believe they are willing to put in substantial work outside the required weekly hour-long meeting, because that is what it takes to get anything done.

As both a member of the Middlebury community and candidate for Wonnacott Senator, I am in favor of several initiatives. I am in favor of making our campus carbon neutral. I am in favor of continuing to raise awareness and support for the victims of genocide in the Sudan. I am in favor of installing a modest but effective number of "blue lights" with security call boxes around the campus. I am in favor of eliminating all harmful hydrogenated oil (transfats) from the dining halls. Finally, I am dedicated to facilitating open and informed debate on issues important to our community.

Regardless of the outcome of the election, I will continue to work toward these goals because I genuinely believe that they are important. However, as last year's senatorial experience taught me, no one can honestly pledge to complete a laundry list of initiatives over the course of a year. Change takes time. Being elected Wonnacott Senator would make it easier to work toward realizing these goals. Still, win or lose, I cannot promise to achieve the above initiatives by the end of the academic year.

What I can unequivocally promise is that I will fight to ensure that student opinion has a role in the policy making of Middlebury College. I promise to work to rally student support on important issues, and do my very best to ensure that the administration has a clear understanding of student priorities. Most importantly, I promise to always be open to the thoughts, comments and concerns of all members of our fine Community.

Together we have the power to ensure that our short time at this incredible institution is one of which we can all truly be proud.

Max Nardini is a Junior Political Science major from New York City. He is currently running for Wonacott commons Senator.