OP-ED Thinking about the future

Author: Matt Joseph

I don't think I'd be alone in saying one of the top reasons I came to Middlebury is because "the people here seem so nice." I can remember taking tours, visiting classes, going to the dining halls and spending the night during my senior year of high school in order to learn about what it means to be a Middlebury student. I thought it meant having a good time no matter what you were doing, enjoying the beautiful scenery, getting away from the city life, building friendships and getting an education to prepare you for life after college. But after four years of lectures, discussion sections and group study sessions, I've learned something new.

I think as seniors this year, with this economy and the unemployment level, we've all had to confront ourselves about what we really want to do after we graduate. We spent these last four years struggling through labs, lectures, papers, problem sets, and exams, but for what? So we can apply to every job for which we meet the base requirements? And, for once, read every CSO senior spotlight that comes out in hopes that someone, somewhere is hiring? That's not what I signed up for, and that's not what being a Middlebury student is all about.

We don't realize it when we're in class, but we're all surrounded by deeply passionate people who want to make a difference in their lifetimes. They want to take their education above and beyond. We know there are unbelievable opportunities for us all around the globe, and we know that we're capable. So why do we have to settle for jobs that make us ask ourselves, "what was it all worth?" That's not what being a Middlebury student is all about.

I've learned that Middlebury students can do pretty much everything. They can learn several languages, teach English to underprivileged children, help the first black president get elected and even kick field goals in the NFL. There's no right path for a Middlebury student, and there's no telling where anyone will be five years down the road. So why squander this ability and force ourselves to do something we don't want to do?

The problem is that companies all over the world are on hiring freezes and laying workers off on a daily basis. So the jobs that we all want, and can normally get, are in much shorter supply. But there are still places where we can find a great job and put our talent to good use. Right now, there are over 70,000 federal jobs listed on USAJobs.gov, the federal government's mandated job search engine, and more are being added daily. The government is the country's largest employer and has opportunities in almost every field. The Office of Personnel Management projects that in the next five years 550,000 federal employees will leave the government, and in only the next two years the federal government will need to hire 190,000 new employees to mission critical positions.

So, if you want, go try and design the next space shuttle, or orchestrate the next aid plan to Afghanistan, or fight the war on poverty or prevent swine flu from spreading to places like Vermont. As Middlebury students, you can. Now that you've enjoyed the beauty and challenge of going to Middlebury, go do something that proves to yourself why you came here. And truly demonstrate what it means to be a Middlebury student.