Otter Creek Bakery celebrates 25 years of success in the Middlebury community

On Monday, April 16, Otter Creek Bakery celebrated its 25th anniversary. Two and a half decades after co-owners Ben and Sarah Wood began their business, the bakery is still going strong.
“It is a real milestone,” said Sarah, a resident of Cornwall, Vt. “We feel lucky to be where we are and still be a business and still a couple.”
As a large banner and a slew of silver balloons marked the anniversary to locals passing by, the bakery offered special items in honor of the occasion. Otter Creek does not have a liquor license, so it got creative and put a new spin on a celebratory toast to its many years in business: the bakery served complimentary toasted baguettes with a maple fudge spread. The spread was organic, and with the exception of the Peruvian chocolate, other ingredients, such as the sugar and cream, were locally sourced. The Woods processed the spread, and customers can now buy the sweet treat in jars to bring home. The bakery also served merengues made especially for the occasion.
After years of working in the culinary world in all corners of the country, the Woods purchased an old Esso Station and opened Otter Creek Bakery in 1986. To the delight of local residents, students from the College and tourists passing through Middlebury, Otter Creek offers a variety of baked goods, sandwiches and more. The Woods are incredibly grateful for the sustained community support.
“Basically today is just a big thank you to the community and to our customers for being there for us,” said Sarah.
Throughout the Woods’ journey, they have kept their business and family closely aligned.
“It is a real family operation, and it is just quite an accomplishment to be in business and successful and still a thriving family for 25 years,” said Sarah.
Otter Creek Bakery is open Monday through Saturday, from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and on Sundays from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.