Page 1 inspires reading enthusiasm

Author: Ashley Bell

Last Saturday, The Wild Things romped and The Giving Tree shared with local children. McCullough Social Space was transformed into a delightful setting where children experienced the magic of reading. Page 1 Literacy's "Fun with Magic" reading carnival was deemed a success by Selina, age 11. "I come every year…it's a lot of fun"

The carnival consisted of craft booths set up by various clubs and organizations. Each booth focused on a specific children's book. Children wandered from booth to booth, having fun with the arts and crafts while also interacting with Middlebury students. One crowd favorite was the cotton-ball owl project sponsored by Habitat for Humanity (members of the group also read the story Owl Babies aloud to the crowd.) Olivia, age 7, said she "liked the books and making cookies [with Hillel, who was reading "Something for Nothing"] was fun!"

Clubs and Organizations that participated in this event included the Middlebury Mountain Club, the Japanese club, Habitat for Humanity, College Democrats, Forest residence hall, the Bobolinks, Hillel, KDR, The Middlebury fire department and DMC. Page 1 Literacy's mission is to promote literacy and the organization is dedicated to spreading the fun of reading. "Page 1 isn't about teaching kids how to read, but getting them excited about reading," said Lynn Gray '07.5. "Reading is a life-long skill, and we want to foster enjoyment of it." This reading carnival is part of the club's undertaking to promote literacy in the local community. Tara Micherone '06, Katie Groetzinger '08 and Amelia Goff '08 organized the event and were pleased with the outcome. "This is a fun, unique way to promote literacy and get kids excited," explained Groetzinger. The club also sponsors an after-school program. This event was open to the public and most of the children and the parents at the carnival were from Addison County. "The best thing [about this event] is bringing the college community closer to the town community…we don't do that often enough" stated College Democrat volunteer Marcus Hughes '06. Many other volunteers expressed the same view. "We are their role models," said Adrienne Taren '09. By spreading the love of reading, Page 1 Literacy is hoping to encourage children to continue their education and become life-long readers. Also, events like these further interaction between students and the community. Often Middlebury students find it difficult tmingle with locals, but events like the reading carnival foster this integration. Another positive aspect of this event was the chance for multiple groups on campus to join forces in one activity. Having an assortment of organizations added variety to the event. Volunteers had fun doing each other's crafts and reminiscing about the children's books. "I like to read and I like books," said Elliot, age 11. With more events such as the "Fun with Magic" reading carnival, more youngsters will be able to be more like Elliot, learning through their enjoyment of the magic of books.