Panel talks socioeconomic diversity

While Middlebury puts a lot of time and energy into expanding cultural diversity at the College, members of the Institutional Diversity Committee (IDC) saw socioeconomic diversity on campus as a topic that often goes un-discussed or overlooked. As a result, last Wednesday afternoon, April 6, students and faculty alike piled into Hillcrest to participate in a panel discussion of the state of socioeconomic diversity at Middlebury.
This panel was a continuation of three years’ worth of conversations, lectures and workshops hosted by the IDC to raise awareness socioeconomic diversity issues on campus. Becky Harper ’11, chair of diversity for the

Student Government Association (SGA) and leader of IDC, and IDC member Hudson Cavanagh ’14 served as student moderators of the panel.
The panel was composed of two faculty members, Assistant Provost and Associate Professor of Religion James Davis and Assistant Professor of Sociology/Anthropology Chong-suk Han. Also on the panel were Dean of the College and Chief Diversity Officer Shirley Collado, Student Services Director Jacqueline Davies and Associate Director of Alumni Relations Ian McCray, who works on diversity recruiting in the admissions office.

A topic close to the heart of many students, the discussions focused on the sensitivity of the student population to frank discussions of class and the problems that ensue because of widespread discomfort with the issue. There seems to be “an utter fear to talk about class,” said Han. One obstacle to communication, Collado said, is the “the need to ‘pass’” among students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds, who work hard to blend in with peers who may have more disposable income.

“There are students who work very, very hard to hide their struggle,” said Davies.

At the same time, faculty and students acknowledged that a lack of faculty awareness contributes to restraining open and honest dialogue. Collado explained that although new faculty complete a winter term orientation during their first year in which they receive general information about the diversity of the student body,  “there are things that are missing” regarding diversity education. For example, Davis addressed the common assumption among faculty that all students can purchase the numerous books assigned. While professors can put materials on e-reserve or reserve textbooks in the library, many do not choose to do so. The panel suggested that communication issues between professors and low-income students prevent professors from providing solutions for these students.

In addition to expenses, Davis noted that working students may have difficulty balancing their coursework with employment, but that their struggle is not always as obvious to professors.

“Faculty members may not be in tune with particular cues … about when a student might be struggling,” said Collado.

However, even for those not outwardly struggling, many students in the audience commented that the time commitment given to working is not acknowledged as a possible conflict with academics in the same way as sports or other extracurriculars.

Students and panelists presented suggestions as to how the College could help fix the difficulties in communication between students and faculty. One possible solution to aid communication between students and faculty is to have professors initiate open dialogue from the first day of class by expressing their openness to help students who might be having trouble in any way to succeed in the classroom.

The panelists also addressed the difficulties posed to students on financial aid and limitations on their ability to take part in “the full Middlebury experience,” particularly regarding study abroad. It is in study abroad that Davies “sees a lot of the inequality.”

“[There are] tons of programs that students on financial aid are shut out from,” said Davies.

Davies cited a study abroad program in Budapest that is often recommended for students studying mathematics, but that most students on financial aid cannot feasibly attend. Davies stressed her opinion that the study abroad system is “not socially just.”

Other topics discussed by the panel included the admissions process, the feeling of shame on both sides of the economic spectrum, a lack of representation from the middle of the economic spectrum and the sense of not belonging at Middlebury.

The panel appeared to achieve its goal of creating a space for a continuing conversation on the topic, since many students lingered after the conclusion of the discussion to further consider the issue of socioeconomic diversity at Middlebury.

To further address issues of socioeconomic diversity, Middlebury has just formed its chapter of the national organization United for Undergraduate Socioeconomic Diversity (U/Fused). According to Sam Koplinka-Loehr ’13, a member of this new group, the goal is to “continue the conversation that was started.”  The committee also hopes to work with the administration to get more diversity training for professors to promote “awareness for the faculty,” said Koplinka-Loehr.

Overall, most students seemed very grateful that the IDC put on the panel discussion as a way to help encourage discussion of the difficult topic of socioeconomic diversity at Middlebury.

“It is important to have a formal discussion because people are hesitant to talk about [socioeconomic diversity],” said Addie Cuniff ’13. “It was an awesome chance for students to talk about what was on their mind.”
U/FUSED and the IDC will host conversations on a bi-weekly basis in Redfield to continue the discussion of socioeconomic diversity at Middlebury.